shipping splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowtime

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2007
northern BC
I am thinking of getting a DR electric 6 ton. Trouble is there are no dealers up here and it would have to be shipped long distance. What I am asking is their build quality good. I am a little Leary of having to ship it back for warranty. The closest dealer is 700 miles according to their dealer list. Seems to me you might as well ship back to factory on east coast. Any thoughts.

There are a few threads on here about DR Splitters, here is one of them
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12249/

I bought the 6 ton back in Dec and have split a little over 2 cords of oak with it. have not had any problems with it and am pretty happy with it. Had it shipped to Seattle from the DR factory on east coast. Used ABF trucking, there seems to be some problems when they ship via UPS so stay away from that
They also have a 6 month guarantee, if for any reason you are not happy they will take it back and they will pay for shipping

snowtime, I'm happy with the 5-ton model. It's built heavier than other electric splitters (I would expect the same, if not more bulk out of the 6-ton), and I like dealing with DR. They're a good company. I split a lot of wood in my basement, so an electric splitter was the right move for me.

A few folks on this forum have had problems with damage during shipment. My splitter didn't have a scratch on it, but the box was pretty beaten up. I'm guessing that if UPS had to ship it further than VT --> NJ, there would have been more damage.

I've already split close to 4 cords of oak ranging from 4" - 16" in diameter, and it hasn't let me down. Larger diameter rounds should be cut shorter in length so the splitter can handle them. This makes smaller wedges instead of nicely-shaped splits, but it all burns! Difficult pieces need some special attention. The small number of pieces it can't split usually get thrown aside and whacked to hell with a maul, or (carefully!) ripped down the grain with a chainsaw. You'll get a feel for what it can (and can't) handle. Keep a small (sharp) hatchet nearby so you can separate especially stringy pieces, and use the back-end of the hatchet to tap stuck logs off the wedge if they happen to get stuck.

Operation is kind of slow -- the wedge isn't a speed demon, but as I mentioned in a different thread, this isn't a Super-Split :) I'm happy waiting for it, since it's saving me from swinging the maul.

Overall, it has saved me a lot of time and hassle, and I think this unit will last well into the future. One of the best things about it is one-handed operation. The on/off switch keeps the power running constantly, and the wedge is controlled by a lever. I just recently got the tray attachment because DR was having a sale on accesories. The tray is useful, but it gets in the way of the front handle of the splitter, so you have to be more careful if trying to carry it around. It would be nice if the tray were more easily removed for transport. I'm considering making some modifications to the try for this reason.

The 5-ton had the right power/quality/price combination for me. The 6-ton is significantly more expensive, so at $675, you may want to consider some of the smaller gas-powered units that are out there. The DR won't dissapoint, as long as you're aware of its limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.