1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

shop vac - making it less dusty ??

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by kenstogie, Jan 5, 2013.

1. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    I have a shop vac (pics to follow) and what can i do to make this spit out less dust? it is an actual 10 gallon Shop Vac brand that has a ring holding a piece of cloth(?) around everything. the pics will show it dirty but I have cleaned it pretty thoroughly but still it kicks dust..... thanks :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    Lowes & hd have a universal filter 30 bucks or so, one of its ratings is cold ash..

I'm happy with it, 2 yrs
  3. MommyOf4

MommyOf4 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
    I use a shop vac and have a hepa filter bag (the one used for dry wall dust, etc). It doesn't seem to kick out any dust whatsoever.
    brack86svo likes this.
  4. kenstogie

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    30 bux...thats how much thevacuum costs but if it works poolguy. momo4 do umhave a link??
  5. MommyOf4

MommyOf4 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
  6. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Go to lowes.com search for shop vacs, and the filters and bags will come up
  7. SwineFlue

SwineFlue Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Pa
    Lowe's has them listed as "Shop-Vac drywall collection bags"
  8. kenstogie

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    thanx!!
  9. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    I have no luck with the bag type vacs, they blow crap all over. I have a rigid shop vac that takes a real filter not a bag and never had a dust issue in the house
  10. PoolGuyinCT

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
  11. becasunshine

becasunshine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Va
    We have the wet/dry $30 filter in our Shop Vac as well. The good thing about that filter is that it's a wet/dry filter- meaning that you can rinse it off. That's great- it will last a long, long time if you can rinse it off after every few uses.

We also use a regular bag in the Shop Vac. We have some drywall bags here as well but we haven't yet gotten around to using them. The $30 wet/dry filter plus a regular bag has meant no dust that I can see coming out of the Shop Vac. Plus, a regular bag keeps a good part of the ash out of the expensive filter.

I "reuse" the bag in the Shop Vac until it develops a tear. I know, I know, shouldn't reuse vacuum cleaner bags blah blah blah. The way I see it, the better quality wet/dry filter protects the Shop Vac motor. After all, *it's a Shop Vac*. People use them all the time with NO bag. A reused bag and a good filter work for me. When it feels like the Shop Vac is getting heavy when I pick it up, I take the bag out of it, dump the bag in a safe place (on bare dirt in my wintertime garden) in the back yard, and rinse off the filter.

I just retrieved a spare filter that we have, still in the box. It's a "Clean Stream" filter and the box says that it is a "Real HEPA Filter."
  12. PoolGuyinCT

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    I forgot this one, I clean a lot of oil fired pool heaters, when indoors a a big girls panty hose goes over the cartridge in vac...

Supply your own big girl...
  13. bill3rail

bill3rail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    LI, NY
    Newer Shop Vac comes with a filter. The older one I had was just the cloth cover.
    Lowes had 12 Gallon vacs on sale for Black Friday, and that was the only shopping I did that day.
    I bought two of them, one for the Pellet vac contraption and one for the basement. My older one will stay in the garage.

Bill
  14. johnny1720

johnny1720 Member

Loc:
    The Great North East
    I use a any old filter, then i connect a section of hose from the old shop vac to the exhaust and put it out the window. Then it just blows all the dust outside while i clean the stove. I never get any dust in my house.
    moey and mralias like this.
  15. jdege

jdege Member

Loc:
    Dover, NH
    The Cleanforce ash vac I got came with a good filter, nothing blows into the house.
    (I do not know why the pic only posts sideways)
    image.jpg
  16. kenstogie

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    So I after looking at all the suggestion of y'all. I did some searching on amazon and ebay and found the following

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ERVR2G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3IZHOEADOGAP0
    [​IMG]

which is very similiar in design to PoolguyinCT's link but about half the price delivered. I will report back (if I remember :p) how it works so others may try it. Hey it comes with a free coaster with a picture of an Osprey, washable and reusable (or so it claims), PP compound filter is H12 filtration class and retains 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 micron ( I only know some of what all that jargon means but it had cool numbers and letters in it :) )

Of course YMMV and I have not used this product yet nor am I representitive of this company (but they can send me freebies if they like ;) ) etc, etc, disclaimer, disclaimer, caveat emptor, disclaimer, etc.
  17. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I gave up on the filters I still use a drywall filter, but I started to vent the exhaust out the window.
  18. mmckee83

mmckee83 Member

19. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    Our local shop Paris Farmers Union sometimes has this model on sale for 69.95 Ive had good luck with my little sears5HP so until it blows Im keeping it !
  20. SteveB

SteveB Member

Loc:
    South Central PA.
    Kenstogie,

I use a filter in my shop vac (looks like the filter you posted in your picture) with a drywall bag (Type H, I think). Absolutely no dust comes out of the vac. Been using this setup a few seasons and really like it. Usually clean the filter once a season. Just tap it and maybe blow a little compessed air on it. Probably use 4 bags or so in my 5 gallon vac.

Steve
  21. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    I have a Craftsman Shop Vac w/ a hepa filter and use the dry wall bags with it as well. Only problem is the inlet to the dry wall bag keeps popping off the vac inlet and if I force it over the rings to keep it on better, the bag tears by the inlet hole. So I get ash all over the hepa filter and have to shake it and knock it out.
  22. SteveB

SteveB Member

Loc:
    South Central PA.
    Ejectr,
    Mine popped off once when I filled the bag to overfull. The filter then plugged but still no ashes came out the exhaust. just no suction anymore. I was able to tap the filter and blow it with compressed air. Good as new now!
  23. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    I'd be happy if it got to that point. It doesn't get anywhere near full before it pops off. The hep filter catches it, but it's a PIA to clean. I don't have compressed air. I end up knocking it against my hand and cleaning out the pleats with an old tooth brush.
  24. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    If it is the one I'm thinking of check shop vac filter #90304. I have a "Bucket head" vac that had a filter bag that was junk. this filter fits right on.
  25. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

A HEPA filter AND a Dry wall bag...

Add those to the vac and NO ASH OR DUST at all....

EVER.....