shopping for a design / manufacturer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapenut

May 16, 2008
Southcoast, MA
There certainly is allot to learn about burnin' wood. I'm writing this post just to get feedback on my situation. Please view my profile to see where I'm coming from. I'm very fortunate to have found this forum as I'm looking to purchase a stove this spring. It seems to me that there are several different gasifier designs (all work) and several different manufacturers making variations of each design. It seems that whether a stove design "works", or not, is contingent upon how well its personality fits the profile of its owner.

I'm currently leaning towards a Greenfire (over a GW or Seton). I think it fits my profile the best. Another option I like is the Garn technology.

Greenfire pros: burns larger unsplit wood; longer burn time; local manufacturer; affordable price; simple Seton technology; closed system
Greenfire cons: potential creosote issues if install does not have storage; difficult to clean

Garn pros: integrated unit seems to have the least amount of variables, making it easy to get it right the first season. long unit life; built in U.S.A.
Garn cons: shipping large unit from MN; large (3/4?hp) blower motor will use allot of elec.; restocking fire 45 minutes after lighting; high initial unit cost; having to relight to fire boiler every time(?); open system(althoughI believe the Switzer is closed)

Garn questions:
1) will it burn large unsplit wood? If not, what is the best size to be using?
2) I read in a thread somewhere about timing the length of firing right so that there would be embers left over for next firing. Can this be done consistently? Also something about the way a Switzer times its burns, embers are able to be left?
3) how often does it need to be cleaned and how difficult is it?

Greenfire questions:
1) who has opened one of these up to clean, and does it involve disconnecting plumbing and cutting panels off?
2) I'm thinking that I can avoid creosote with storage. This will allow me to burn hotter longer and not get dips under 140 in the return line.

I obviously have not spoken with any of the manufacturers yet, but will do so this week.
I appreciate any/all feedback.

If you have the proper draft you should not have a creoste problem. I have had mine since Jan 2008 (or there abouts). Before I put in the draft inducer there was some creosote in the pipe. After 4 months (w/draft inducer) of burning green unsplit Oak I brushed the 6" SS pipe. All I got out of it was about 1/2 gallon of powder...

I took of the top and side panel. The Hx did need a cleaning but it was no where near as bad as the other Hx pics I have seen in this forum. I repiped the top of the boiler with Unions. I used a gasket under the top cover instead of silicone. Now I can take the top off very easily...

If I had the $$ to spend I would prefer a Garn or a downdraft (Eko, Tarm). I got a great deal on my Greenfire. For the $$ I spent I am very happy.

BTW- expect smoke on startup and re-load.

I ran with out storage for a few months and ran cooler the 140* return temps. Now I set my aquastats so I dont get cooler then 140* return. The Hx should stay even cleaner now. I will install a Termovar someday.

I spoke with Mark at SJV trailers yesterday. He said you had a thread explaining the storage the you built. I'm having trouble finding it. Can you tell me what its title is? Thanks!

Grapenut, You are right about the garn being simplistic by design, it cost $1200 to ship mine to connecticut 2 years ago,it will not burn large green splits with the results you are looking for. I think no matter what a manufacturer claims about the acceptance of green wood, most of us will not burn it, loss of effiency and its byproduct creosote. I would also bet that the manufacturers who accept green wood did not use it for stating effiency results! After a 3 hr burn i have raked enough embers to relight 12 hrs later, however lighting any draft induced boiler is not a challenge.The aspect of the garn or switzer or any other gassifying boiler with proper sized storage is that you can if you choose burn all year long for any demand.I heat my pool, hot-tub and dwh all summer, basically with 1 three hour burn each day.

Thanks TC,
Actually, I'm looking to burn large seasoned rounds. Althougth I really like the approach of the Garn's "package" setup, I think the Seton type design may be better suited to my needs. I'm leaning towards a Greenfire: It burns large wood, it has an affordable price, it's built locally, and sounds like it works fine with the proper installation. Hopefully I can include storage with whatever I decide on from day one.

Rob

Greenfire sent it partailly assembled so I could get it in the cellar. The storage was based on unused space in the cellar. I ended up with about 700 gallons. Wish I had more. I think 1000 gallons would be better. Right now I am getting 3 days use from the tank between fires. Family of 5. Do you live in town? The Greenfire smokes quite a bit on start up and reload (if wood is not round chunks). However, it goes vsf after 15-30 minutes. The bigger rounds you load the less smoke you get during these times.

sparke said:
Greenfire sent it partailly assembled so I could get it in the cellar. The storage was based on unused space in the cellar. I ended up with about 700 gallons. Wish I had more. I think 1000 gallons would be better. Right now I am getting 3 days use from the tank between fires. Family of 5. Do you live in town? The Greenfire smokes quite a bit on start up and reload (if wood is not round chunks). However, it goes vsf after 15-30 minutes. The bigger rounds you load the less smoke you get during these times.
I live on / work on / own a farm but my closest neighbor is only about 250' from the building where I'd like to put the boiler. Too close?? Hey, whats vsf??

sparke said:
If you have the proper draft you should not have a creoste problem. I have had mine since Jan 2008 (or there abouts). Before I put in the draft inducer there was some creosote in the pipe. After 4 months (w/draft inducer) of burning green unsplit Oak I brushed the 6" SS pipe. All I got out of it was about 1/2 gallon of powder...

I took of the top and side panel. The Hx did need a cleaning but it was no where near as bad as the other Hx pics I have seen in this forum. I repiped the top of the boiler with Unions. I used a gasket under the top cover instead of silicone. Now I can take the top off very easily...

If I had the $$ to spend I would prefer a Garn or a downdraft (Eko, Tarm). I got a great deal on my Greenfire. For the $$ I spent I am very happy.

BTW- expect smoke on startup and re-load.

I ran with out storage for a few months and ran cooler the 140* return temps. Now I set my aquastats so I dont get cooler then 140* return. The Hx should stay even cleaner now. I will install a Termovar someday.

Sparke,

How do you think Greenfire is able to charge less than a Seton, or Greenwood, with essentially the same design?

Rob

Vsf = visibly smoke free. I think Greenfire may have a bit less refractory but to be honest I think there is that much mark up by Seton, GW, etc... Before steel went up Seton said you could make this boiler yourself for around $2500 in material.

Status
Not open for further replies.