Short handled timber tools, pickaroons, hookaroons and so forth.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
What do you like and why?

I have had a scad of them. Mostly I use them to reach into the truck bed without having to lean over so far to pull rounds out. I have used them to pick up rounds onto a splitting block one handed and swing a light weight maul with the other hand to split. That was many many years ago.

Either I am older, or trees are twistier, i haven't tried that stunt in a couple decades. Maybe mauls are heavier, that could be it. I'll bet that is it. I bet the manufacturers feel so bad about the prices they are charging that a 6# maul actually weighs 11 pounds now.

Anyroad, i am currently using a "woodchuck". It's the best and the worst of all the ones I have had. The bad news is the handle is round, so there is no mechanical feedback on which way the head is pointing. You got to watch to make sure you get a square hit.

The good news is the tooth on the woodchuck is the best I have ever used. Instead of a rectangular cross section, the cross section on the woodchuck tooth is square. Side grain, end grain, edge grain, it don't matter. This sucker will bite, as long as you are watching the head and get a good hit.

I may have to put my woodchuck head on a elliptical cross section axe handle. That will give me three grips, and I can look at something else while I am swinging and still get a good hit. Pics if i do it.

What do you like?

The 36" Logrite hookaroon I purchased last winter is the only one I've had. Love it! It's one of the best tools I've ever used. I use it for loading and unloading my truck.
I had 2 big maples cut down in january and after giving the biggest trunk sections to a neighbor, I still foot 10 cords of firewood. A bunch of that went to my dad and another neighbor, so I was moving truck load after truck load of rounds. The logrite really saved my back.

A billhook is my favorite small tool while working around firewood. I recently purchased a Fiskars felling lever, but not have tried it in the field yet.

What do you like and why?

I have had a scad of them. Mostly I use them to reach into the truck bed without having to lean over so far to pull rounds out. I have used them to pick up rounds onto a splitting block one handed and swing a light weight maul with the other hand to split. That was many many years ago.

Either I am older, or trees are twistier, i haven't tried that stunt in a couple decades. Maybe mauls are heavier, that could be it. I'll bet that is it. I bet the manufacturers feel so bad about the prices they are charging that a 6# maul actually weighs 11 pounds now.

Anyroad, i am currently using a "woodchuck". It's the best and the worst of all the ones I have had. The bad news is the handle is round, so there is no mechanical feedback on which way the head is pointing. You got to watch to make sure you get a square hit.

The good news is the tooth on the woodchuck is the best I have ever used. Instead of a rectangular cross section, the cross section on the woodchuck tooth is square. Side grain, end grain, edge grain, it don't matter. This sucker will bite, as long as you are watching the head and get a good hit.

I may have to put my woodchuck head on a elliptical cross section axe handle. That will give me three grips, and I can look at something else while I am swinging and still get a good hit. Pics if i do it.

What do you like?
I have the newest version of the Log_Rite.....I love it!....the old style had a round profile and left much to be desired...the old style Log-Rites can be retro-fitted with a replacement hook from Log-Rite...does your woodchuck hook profile look anything like this/
IMG_3077.jpg
IMG_3078.jpg
IMG_3079.jpg