Should any part be glowing red?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
I'm starting renovation on my house and needed to pull stove, knowing it would be my last fire for a while I wanted it hot. Packed stove with 2yr old oak, and some 2x4 cut offs. When it was time to leave I turned off lights and noticed the stainless steel collar that enters the stainless liner and stove outlet was glowing! I was nervous, shut down air from full to about half and it stopped glowing, stove top was 700. This is a 1983 VC intrepid 1 btw.
My neighbor, heats his house with tube stove, told me that's fine. I wish I didn't pack my infared thermometer. What's stainless start to glow at? I was concerned but after turning down air it went away, it was only that collar, not the stove or liner, although stove is enameled so not sure if that would glow.
I've seen some interior parts glowing during operation, but never the chimney/liner/collar. So was that unsafe? Or just being ran hard.
Rob

and where did my paragraphs go! I had them, now solid text!!

Stainless and carbon steel forging temp is around 2200, melting point is 2400 and up depending what's in it.

Steel loses a lot of its strength much sooner and can sag at temperatures that are much lower, especially if it stays that hot for a long time.

700 stovetop is probably a lot warmer inside the firebox.

My grandma always said that a little glow with the lights out was just right, but I believe she would have gone through less wood stoves if she hadn't run them quite so hard!

If you see any glow with the lights on, that is likely over 1000°F and your stove is definitely too hot.

Thanks, it's funny I remember reading that story about your grandmother. Thanks

That's too hot and can damage the liner if sustained. The stove top would eventually also have gotten hotter. If this is a frequent need then you need a larger stove.

I'm definitely going to need a bigger stove, and this was by no means my normal way of operating this stove for me, thanks for replies.