1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Should extras be included with new Stihl Chainsaw?

Post in 'The Gear' started by isipwater, Mar 21, 2014.

1. isipwater

isipwater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    If I was to purchase a new Stihl chainsaw from a dealer, is it customary to expect or ask for any extras, such as additional chains, upgraded chain, oil, fuel, chain sharpener, case, etc...?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Osagebndr

Osagebndr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Indiana
    Usually they come with a wrench and my Stihl dealer will give a couple of two cycle mixes as well. And he'll charge a little less for a gallon of baroil
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    It is not uncommon for them to throw in some incentive. I believe they are very tight with the pricing of the saw, but the other stuff, not so much.
    TreePointer likes this.
  4. pma1123

pma1123 Member

Loc:
    Watertown, WI
    With my purchase, the saw came with a small screwdriver, bar nut wrench, scabbard, and owners manual.
    They doubled my warranty if I bought a 6qty gallon-mix case of their Ultra HP oil at the time of saw purchase.
    Other than that, I think they extended an offer for buy 1 chain, get the 2nd 50% off.
  5. splitoak

splitoak Member

Loc:
    Jefferson Co, WV
    ......u get an awesome saw...what else is there..lmao..butttt....u can always ask..i think i got $10 off my 290. But i think they made it back on the syn mix..:( oh and the $32 rs chain...:p
    TreePointer likes this.
  6. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    My experience with buying new Stihl saws is to expect the powerhead, bar, chain, scrench, carb adjustment screwdriver, 16" inexpensive scabbard (regardless of bar length), and operators manual. Anything beyond that is some type of promotion which may or may not be available at the time, and don't whine if it's not offered, lol.

Sometimes you'll get added goodies like a six/four pack of oil, free or reduced price saw case, or even a hat or t-shirt. For a good while in my area, dealers had the saw case deal attached to a 290 purchase.

Unless you are purchasing a large pro saw, the bar and chain will be green (low kickback) versions. You can ask for a yellow chain and sometimes the dealer will swap one into the deal instead of the green chain. Getting a yellow ES bar should cost you extra. Some dealers will push hard to sell you the standard issue green bar & chain and say that's how they sell them. With these dealers, the yellow bar & chain will be an additional purchase.

As mentioned, there is an extended/double warranty promotion.
    http://www.stihlusa.com/information/corporate/press/march11_products_ultrawarranty/
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Joful and isipwater like this.
  7. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I bought a MS251 a month or two ago and didn't get anything extra
  8. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    My guy said "I'll throw in the carrying case"....personally, I think it comes with a case
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Depends on how close to out the door you are.
    Joful and TreePointer like this.
  10. WiscWoody

WiscWoody Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Wisconsin where us fools live
    They don't do it for free but it's a good time to get a longer bar and chain. I did that for my first Stihl saw and they only charged like, $12 to go from a 16" B/C to a 18". Maybe they would throw it in, good luck!
  11. Fifelaker

Fifelaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Mi
    When I bought my MS440 I shopped around and went with a dealer that threw in a 6 pack of oil 3 files and a pair of gloves. Not much but......
  12. rwilly

rwilly New Member

Loc:
    seattle
    I got a cheap ass .50 cent hat.
    I was expecting a case, scabbard, something!
  13. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    Well, I get a 7% discount from my stihl dealer since I buy a lot of stuff for work from him. I don't expect him to give me any hand outs since it is a mom and pops place and the service is fantastic. When a guy like me running a commercial biz walks in with a problem they drop what they are doing and get me back in business. I don't know what your dealers are like in your neck of the woods but around here iffn you was to go trying to beg free stuff from a guy who is just trying to make a living he might tell you to go else ware.
    The one thing I would ask for is what my dealer does for free. Buy a new saw, run it for 10 hours and take it back in for a check. He adjusts the carb if needed or looks for any other problems that may be up coming like loose bolts or leaking gaskets or whatever.
  14. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I'd ask for a Ford F-150 and a trailer. And a hat. :rolleyes:
  15. Kool_hand_Looke

Kool_hand_Looke Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Illinois
    I got a bar wrench, scabbard, adjustment screwdriver, and a free second loop.

Which made me happy so I bought that 2-in-1 sharpener...which is worth every penny.
  16. Kool_hand_Looke

Kool_hand_Looke Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Illinois
    Oh...I could chose between a case or a loop as well. So I chose the 2nd loop.
  17. razerface

razerface Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ohio
    those stihl cases are kinda expensive. They sometimes have a sale with them included, but that sale is always from the factory, not the dealer.
  18. bassJAM

bassJAM Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cincinnati OH
    When my dad bought his I think it came with a scabbard and chainsaw tool, and the dealer "upgraded" him to a 20" bar at no extra charge.

And a while back when I stopped in a dealership for parts for my trimmer, Stihl was running that deal where they'll double your warranty for buying a 6 pack of the pro oil mix.
  19. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I got a Stihl saw case. Never have found any use for it, other than taking up unnecessary space on a shelf in the shed.

Come to think of it, I should throw it on eBay...
    Wildo likes this.
  20. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Same for me. I sold it on CL.
  21. mike van

mike van Member

Loc:
    Kent Ct
    I got 10% off on a MS 660 -
    Joful likes this.
  22. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I suspect there's a wee bit more wiggle room in the price of a 660, than the saws the OP is considering!
    TreePointer likes this.
  23. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    I got a free screw driver and a 2oz container of 2cycle oil.
  24. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    +1

I know a dealer who has had a 660 on his shelf for years. He tried to give ma a little discount and it was tempting, but I told him that I'm waiting for a 661. ;)
  25. SCOTT S.

SCOTT S. New Member

Loc:
    Waupaca WI
    When I bought my ms460 they had a deal for 50 bucks I got the carry case a tool bag with wrench gloves ear muffs safety glasses and chaps that was 5 years ago though.