should have started this business

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
i went to the grocery store last night and seen this in the store. they're getting $9.99 for 10 small splits or the round they are calling bonfire, which is about a foot in diameter and a foot tall. Has a wick in the center. I soon as i seen the price i was floored. I looked at the tags and its European birch from Estonia. I can't believe they're shipping this wood over here. And they wonder why we have all these foreign wood eating bugs

Attachments

• 091301_2206[00].jpg
    091301_2206[00].jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 628
  • 091301_2206[01].jpg
    091301_2206[01].jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 602
  • 091301_2206[02].jpg
    091301_2206[02].jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 614
  • 091301_2207[01].jpg
    091301_2207[01].jpg
    62 KB · Views: 621
All together now, "That's Cheap!"

ohio woodburner said:
i went to the grocery store last night and seen this in the store. they're getting $9.99 for 10 small splits or the round they are calling bonfire, which is about a foot in diameter and a foot tall. Has a wick in the center. I soon as i seen the price i was floored. I looked at the tags and its European birch from Estonia. I can't believe they're shipping this wood over here. And they wonder why we have all these foreign wood eating bugs

I'm sitting on about $1 billion worth of wood. I'm going to give my notice to work right now.

They sell that gas station firewood around here year round...and a ton of it...for $25 for about 5% of a cord.

Yeah, it's cheaper to eat at home than to go to restaurant, too.

lukem said:
ohio woodburner said:

I'm sitting on about $1 billion worth of wood. I'm going to give my notice to work right now.

They sell that gas station firewood around here year round...and a ton of it...for $25 for about 5% of a cord.

Here 1/64th a cord fir 3-5 bucks..comes with saran wrap and a woven nylon belt stapled in for a handle..i wonder how many bother to remove..

Fools are often parted from their money!

Stump_Branch said:
lukem said:
ohio woodburner said:

Here 1/64th a cord fir 3-5 bucks..comes with saran wrap and a woven nylon belt stapled in for a handle..i wonder how many bother to remove..

You mean I'm supposed to remove the plastic before I put the wood in the stove? :)

My bride and I were talking about this today! The "firewood" we see in the supermarkets these days are all nice and "fresh" cut stuff that looks real pretty and clean! Not grey, no cracks OR anything....wah..... Usually 4 or 5 pieces of nice stuff that we can't imagine would burn for anyone!@ We were talking about how any "good" wood would be gray and old but that would not sell :( sigh and ok poof you supermarket loser sellers:) Waste not my time:)

Great post . . . reminded me that I wanted to make a couple of "Swedish candles" for next week's Camp Jakeawana camping experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.