Should have used bigger posts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Oh well, at least it is just 4 month construction. Never dreamed there would be that much side pressure from the pile.

Attachments

• 010112 2nd chance w.jpg
    010112 2nd chance w.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 010112 2nd chance e.jpg
    010112 2nd chance e.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,059
Time to work off the lasagna.

zap

Nah, it will hold as long as I need it to. Stacking the rest of those big Oak splits took care of the lasagna.

Man, all that food for the stove is splitting at the seams. Must have been lasagna with the alfredo sauce.

Yeah, I should have tied it into the ceiling to keep it from happening. The belly is under the drip line of the roof now. As I burn through the shed I'll just pull the stuff in and give it a few weeks before it heads for the stove.

Ouch I hate loosing piles. I hope thats a over hang its piled under and the roofs not going to come down.

Billy

No worries about that roof Billy, 9' cantilevered truss.

It would appear that I should have used pallets that were in a little bit better shape too. Had a bit of an avalanche recently.

Attachments

• 011112 pallet failure.jpg
    011112 pallet failure.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 670
SolarAndWood said:
It would appear that I should have used pallets that were in a little bit better shape too. Had a bit of an avalanche recently.
You country guys never follow building code!

solar is that the same blowout from jan 1 or a new one?

The tpost was bent over but the pallets were holding before. When that pallet failed, the avalanche started.

gzecc, I'm only 4 miles from downtown. But in Syracuse that can feel like you are in the country depending on the direction you go in.

Solar, you need to stack differently. Zap taught me how to stack this way.

Wood-2009e.jpg

lol, that shed is my unstackables. While I'll never compare to the masters, my stacks are improving.

Attachments

• 010112 stacks.jpg
    010112 stacks.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 457
You have some nice firewood there Solar, looks like winter is finally coming starting tomorrow.

zap

Thanks Zap. We'll see how it goes. I have used about 1/6 cord out of the 8 cord in the burn shed since lighting the stove in September as the unstackables have been getting it done. If this keeps up, I'm not going to have much reloading to do for next year. Won't argue with that.

SolarAndWood said:
Thanks Zap. We'll see how it goes. I have used about 1/6 cord out of the 8 cord in the burn shed since lighting the stove in September as the unstackables have been getting it done. If this keeps up, I'm not going to have much reloading to do for next year. Won't argue with that.

What a mess up here, still getting all rain so far. Calling for a possible 6-10 inches of snow once this is done so I spent time putting the chains on the rhino

zap

That's way high for unstackables. Too bad it failed. My deer netting enclosure has promise but it's not under cover or nice and high like yours.

velvetfoot said:
That's way high for unstackables. Too bad it failed.

It is 10' high, 9' deep and 20' wide. About a 1/3 of a cord slid out, not the end of the world. I removed a 60,000 gallon inground pool for a guy a couple years ago. It has 5 x 5 steel paneled fencing around it that would have been perfect for wood cribs. Could kick myself now for not taking it when he offered it to me. There was probably 200' of those panels and a couple of gates big enough to drive a small tractor through.

Jags said:
Solar - if you are using that track hoe to stack your wood....well, thats just cheating. %-P

Haven't used it for stacking but I picked up a 30" locust with it and used it as a saw buck. Going to hate to have to sell that thing after I am done with it. Any ideas what one might do with a 50 gpm single stage pump driven by a 4 cyl 60 hp diesel?

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:
Solar - if you are using that track hoe to stack your wood....well, thats just cheating. %-P

Haven't used it for stacking but I picked up a 30" locust with it and used it as a saw buck. Going to hate to have to sell that thing after I am done with it. Any ideas what one might do with a 50 gpm single stage pump driven by a 4 cyl 60 hp diesel?

Psycho-splitter? Mount one where the bucket is with an 8" ram and 6 way wedge and sit inside and make piles of fire wood.

lol, thinkin you add a tender behind it and it harvests logs in the woods like a combine does corn in a field.

Status
Not open for further replies.