Should I Add A Return In My 2nd Story Foyer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
I have a two story foyer and the heat just sits up there on the 2nd floor. I would love to distribute it to the remainder of the second floor. The good thing is I have a forced hot air furnace in the attic that I was thinking about using the fan on auto. If I eliminated all of the current 2nd floor returns and created one right at the top of the stairs and ran the fan, would that work? My only fear is the furnace and all the duct work is in the freezing cold attic.

This has been discussed before and the opinions are all over the place on whether the furnace fan is worth it. Most consume several hundred watts of power, the air will only be 80-90 degrees at best and it increases your duct losses. I think I would try a ceiling fan first, but I haven't seen the house. You migh want to try adding a smaller duct into the peak and tie it into the existing return rather than moving the entire return. Maybe this would also be a good excuse to get up there and insulate the ductwork a little?

Our heat pump in the attic does help spread the heat around some, but would cost over $30 in electricity a month if it was on 24/7. I just let the heat pump cycle normally (usually only in very cold weather) and it works pretty well at keeping the heat moving. You could probably get a piece of 12" flex and try it. It can't hurt.

Chris

Drew, if you do some searches here on moving heat I'm sure you'll find loads of good info. The best solution for you really just depends on your floorplan. Does the foyers second story share a wall with the rest of the second floor? If so, the solution could be as easy as creating an opening, at or near ceiling level, in that wall so that the warm air can spread out into the rest of the second floor. You might also consider a ceiling fan in the foyer to push the warm air back down and then try floor fans to create an air current that moves the colder air, at floor level, towards the stove. This will generally force the warmed air from the stove out of the room and into the adjoining rooms.

I have a similar problem with a back room and am going to use a few small fans on the floor, hidden, to force the cold air toward the stove. Thus creating the air circulation needed. I am hesitant to do any construction projects until I can profile the room and air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.