Should I add more chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
Heres my setup, thru wall BTW... Buck stove, model 21.. Out the top of the stove with 6" single wall duravent pipe, up 40" to a 90. From the 90, it goes 8" until it hits the triple wall tee and from there it is straight up 15' to the roof.. I am VERY VERY close to the 3' higher than anything 10' away rule (I mean 2" here). Everthing seems to work well, although I still have a little trouble getting the secondary combustion just right. Seems to draft fine, but I am no expert. What do you guys think? I'll be cleaning it for the first time in a couple of weeks and will be adding a 1' section BELOW the tee for a cleanout, and was thinking of adding another 3' section on top for good measure. Could do 2' on top if that would be better.

Jason

I will raise it up another 3 ft at cleanout.. "the taller the better, in your case." is there a reason in particular for this? Do I have one piece of the puzzle that needs the extra pipe, or is this just a general rule? Thanks in advance for the advice..

Jasonj

Subtract about 2' for every elbow in the chimney. You have two, so if you subtract 4' from your 15' you get 11. So a 4' section on top would not be out of the question. However, these are generalities. Sometimes you can get away with less and sometimes you need more. For example, we got away with less (and only on elbow) and have no drafting problems. But all things being equal, higher is usually better.

Gotcha, it will definatly get another 36" stick soon.. Who knows, it might make a difference with my finicky secondaries as well.. That, and better wood...

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.