should I bother????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudos

Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2009
Central Alberta
I have a PE Super27, used on weekends mostly for 1 year now. I have a Osburn temp probe laying around (new) I think I have a pretty good idea when my stove is too cold or running to hot. I've heard a temp gauge is not really required. Should I slap that puppy in anyways? Any negatives about drilling into the stove pipe?

Also, I just bought a moisture meter. what should I be looking for in moisture content before burning.

Cheers

Look for below 20% moisture. You can put the probe into the singlewall fairly easy and if you find you don't like it plug the hole with a screw.

Matt

Are you on a slab? I don't see too many stoves without a hearth or pad of some sort under them.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Are you on a slab? I don't see too many stoves without a hearth or pad of some sort under them.

Matt

Hi Matt, yes I am on a hearth pad. That sig pic is not my setup. Also, I have double wall pipe.

Thanks

Here I thought you had asbestos curtains & flower arrangement :p

midwestcoast said:
Here I thought you had asbestos curtains & flower arrangement :p

Right, I looked at that photo and thought "brochure". :) But that's no criticism of the Cudos. :coolsmile:

Cudos said:
I have a PE Super27, used on weekends mostly for 1 year now. I have a Osburn temp probe laying around (new) I think I have a pretty good idea when my stove is too cold or running to hot. I've heard a temp gauge is not really required. Should I slap that puppy in anyways? Any negatives about drilling into the stove pipe?

Also, I just bought a moisture meter. what should I be looking for in moisture content before burning.

Cheers

1) You already have the probe thermometer on hand . . . so the only thing that will cost you now is the minimal amount of time to install the thermometer
2) You think you know when the stove is too cold or too hot . . . slap that thermometer in there and now you will know for sure if you are running at the right temp

I ran my stove for a year or so without a probe thermometer and did fine . . . but now I find that I use my Condar probe thermometer more than any other tool to gauge when to shut the door, start shutting down the air, etc. It was a good purchase.

My own feeling . . . to use an analogy I have often used here before . . . is that you do not need a thermometer for your stove or flue pipe. You can run the stove without these and still do OK . . . but they provide a lot of useful feedback as to where you are and more importantly where your stove is heading. In the same thought you can run a car without a functioning gas gauge or speedometer . . . and you can do so safely . . . but having those two gauges working is a bit safer and really helps you run the vehicle more efficiently.

Installing the probe thermometer is very easy . . . providing you can run an electric or cordless drill and follow very simple instructions . . . a 5-10 minute job.

Status
Not open for further replies.