Should I box in and insulate my attic pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MBrake

Nov 17, 2022
Parry sound
Hi.
my cottage has a modern wood insert fireplace. The pipe runs through the unfinished and insulated attic. It’s the proper double wall aluminum.

im trying to keep the attic space cold in the winter to reduce the extent of roof snow melt and possible ice damming.

I had the idea of boxing in and insulating the stove pipe in the attic to reduce radiant heat.

is that a stupid idea?

Can you post a picture of the pipe in the attic?
It can't be aluminum (and it likely isn't). If it is proper class A, then there is no need to box it in and insulate it as it is already insulated between the two walls.

Moreover, if your attic is insulated (i.e. inside the thermal envelope of the home), then it won't make a significant difference anyway.

No, it's stainless steel almost for sure. They need an airspace around them. Your storm collar on top of the roof should be ventilated.

No, it's stainless steel almost for sure. They need an airspace around them. Your storm collar on top of the roof should be ventilated.
The storm collar doesn't need to be ventilated at all on most chimneys.

Hi.
my cottage has a modern wood insert fireplace. The pipe runs through the unfinished and insulated attic. It’s the proper double wall aluminum.

im trying to keep the attic space cold in the winter to reduce the extent of roof snow melt and possible ice damming.

I had the idea of boxing in and insulating the stove pipe in the attic to reduce radiant heat.

is that a stupid idea?
Yes you can box it in and insulate it as long as you maintain the required clearances to combustibles