Should I burn this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rage_Perry

Dec 20, 2011
Central Iowa
Hi, newbie here-

I have some slabs from my parent's place from several years ago. They came from the bed of an military truck for hauling....whatever they hauled.

Just for "edutainment" tonight I put a couple of pieces in my WS22 and left the air supply wide open. Initially, as expected, I had smoke out the stack but after about 30 minutes the amount of smoke drastically dropped. The smoke smelled like a good seasoned hard wood, but I don't know what it is or if I should burn it. My guess is that if it were chemically treated at some point that after 3 or 4 years of being cut to 20" lengths and sitting in their back yard in the open wood rack that the chemicals would have been washed away by now.

I left for 2 1/2 hours and when I came back the fire was still going very nicely with the secondaries seeming to do their job and at no time did I see any coloured flames that would suggest any chemicals burning.

Take a look at the pics and tell me if I am OK to keep burning these (occasionally AND mixed with other known good wood) or if I should find another use for them.

Thanks All!

Attachments

• slab.jpg
    slab.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 590
  • fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 588
  • fire5.jpg
    fire5.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 584
If you don't have to worry about a catalytic & chemical contamination from what ever variety of stuff got spilled on the wood.
I'd pass on it but I have a catalytic.
You could use them to lay under the pallets to stack on, help keep the weeds down & more air circulation.

Old lumber like that would have to be pretty bad for me to burn it, especially if I thought it had a preservative on it. If the gov't ordered it, it will probably last a lifetime without rotting. Cut it open see what type of wood it is. Maybe something can be made from it.

I too would not burn it. Just use your own judgement though as to if you should or shouldn't. And welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.