should I buy the dutchwest 2184?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebull22

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2005
I have a chance to name my price for a used Dutchwest 2184 along with all the pipe/flue. Not sure how old it is. It is being sold by a friend of a friend. I am planning to put in in my 1st floor family/dining room/kitchen area, which totals 625 sq.ft. I already have a Buck 91 in the fireplace upstairs in the split level that THOROUGHLY heats that room and all the bedrooms. Should I buy it and for how much? Thanks.

Well, truthfully I'd pass. That's from the early days of Dutchwest line, and they aren't the best heaters. That isn't to say it's a bad stove, but the catalytic system is not finely tuned and will be finicky to operate. No airwash on the glass means it's dirty about 8 minutes into your burn.

Personally, I'd look for a newer catalytic Dutchwest XL 2462.

Status
Not open for further replies.