Should I cut these down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teekal

Nov 28, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
A local developer let me know he had two elm trees he needed removed from his property that he just purchased. He said if I do the job I can have the wood. I am somewhat hesitant because I don't enjoy dealing with elm, and I have removed two trees close to here before and they were bears to split.

My question for you is, do you think it worth the work?

20160726_131849.jpg

Keep in mind, that I don't have a ton of extra time this summer to get wood, and for the time that I do have for getting wood, I have access to acres of property behind my uncle's house that has a lot of fallen ash that I much prefer to work with than elm.

The only reason why I am thinking about it, is because it's literally a block away from my house.

Please let me know what you think.

if you can leave the developer the stops and the branches, and he is going to give you the code to the pool he is probably going to put in, i might do it...

Yes, not so much for the wood but to keep your developer friend happy and calling you when has 3 oak trees needing removed next year or when that fallen ash is all gone. Take the good with the bad is the way I see it.

Yes, not so much for the wood but to keep your developer friend happy and calling you when has 3 oak trees needing removed next year or when that fallen ash is all gone. Take the good with the bad is the way I see it.

X2 next time could be more and a wood that is easier to split
If it is to hard to split rent a splitter
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

I will x3 that. Its about making connections for future, better offers. If nothing else take them and trade/sell/give away as bucked logs. There might be a OWB user willing to take them. Again its about generating future calls!!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm the rookie around here, and these things are good to know.

I've already replied to my buddy and told him I'll get rid of the trees for him.

No experience w elm but all I hear is its a PITA to split
Why not buck to a length a little less than your opening height and leave them outside to dry a little longer?
You'll have a "puck" that will go right in or need 1 or 2 whacks. Which should be easier in short lengths. A little more WOT saw time but worth it

Never dealt with elm. But it's wood and it burns. The trees look easy enough to drop and process. Why not ? It's the neighborly thing I guess ? Either that or he's being real cheap and doesn't want to spend money on a tree service or doesn't want to do it himself

As said earlier take it never know what it will generate for future wood.

Elm is terrible to split and as stated in another post, it "burns like a misty day." I've got some two year old elm in my pile, but won't burn it for another year. If you have a hydraulic splitter and a place to season it for 3 years, I say yes. Otherwise, I'd say no.

I like elm . . . decent burning wood . . . never had any issues burning it . . . processing it is easy . . . if the tree is dead and has the bark falling off . . . otherwise a hydraulic splitter is kinda handy as live or freshly dead elm can be quite stringy.

I agree with getting it. I starting burning some and its not too bad. When splitting it I just work my way around it. It's a work out but also cutting it shorter like gerry100 suggested is a good idea. I took some of the limbs but I swear they take FOREVER to dry. Maybe they never will...

I took down a large standing dead American Elm about 4 years ago. It reaked havoc on my chainsaw and I remember seeing sparks.
I tried very hard to split it by hand. I ended up relying a lot on a sledge and wedges. That turned into torture. So I finally got a splitter.
Even with the splitter, the elm strings hold on till the end.

So it dried up nice and burnt ok. Then it gives a blue flame and a lot of coals. It makes a good amount of heat. However, I'll never touch it again (a whole tree anyway). IMO it wasn't worth it. I've come across a lot better hardwoods that are much easier to process. One thing to keep in mind is elm rots quickly. Keep it covered and off the ground.

I hope your experience is better than mine.

I will tell you that I will never cut elm again. It was a nightmare to split and I didn't really like how it burnt. tons of coals and not the best btu output not bad but not great either.

Reactions: JA600L
Status
Not open for further replies.