1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Should I even say it?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by yooperdave, Jan 20, 2012.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Sure am glad I'm on a 4-day work week...The ol' thermometer is crowding the -40 mark this a.m.!!!!!!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

I guess I shouldn't complain then, its in the negative teens here with wind chill.

Attached Files:

3. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Friend called last night from Hayward Wi. -20 there and I'm jealous. We are just above 0 and have about 5" of new snow. Finally winter comes!
  4. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Dave we hit a low of -15 according to our outdoor thermometer last night brrrr and loving It. The temps are finally getting more like winter and letting me test our new stove :) It is times like this you can say thank god for the wood stove!

Pete
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Eat some more chili Dave.
  6. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

You bring up a good point, although a subtle one. This cold weather just wears you down.

I used to work up on the North Slope out in the weather, whatever it was, and I could tell what it would be like outside before I opened my eyes in the morning. When the temperatures plummeted, I had a hard time waking up and getting out of bed in the morning.

Years later, I still find it's harder to go about your daily routine, and when I get home from work (and I work in an office now), I just want to kick back for the evening. Not much juice left in the batteries.

I believe that we have some deep wiring that tells us that when it's cold out, we should hunker down, sleep a lot, and stay put. Four-day workweeks make sense to me.
  7. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I think you're right snow. I awoke this a.m. feeling less than willing and looked at the thermometer to find -7 °F .
    Now, I know that's not cold to you, but it's a bit chilly. Forecast called for 7 °F , but they forgot the - sign. :lol:
    If I hadn't loaded the stove well last night, the house would have felt like an icebox this a.m., and I would have been grumpy for a minute.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Sat. morning was better-only -35f on the thermometer. Sun. morning will be even better! The wind is howling right now.

p.s. Dennis-I have the makings for chili on the kitchen counter ready to go!
  9. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

Not even possible . . .
  10. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    You,....or me?
    'Cause me gets grumpy every once in a while.....for a minute. :lol: