Should I get/make a case?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
My new Stihl did not come with a case, so I need to decide whether to spend the extra $40 to get one, make one, or go without. Opinions?

WarmGuy said:
My new Stihl did not come with a case, so I need to decide whether to spend the extra $40 to get one, make one, or go without. Opinions?
spend the 40 bucks cant go wrong there!

You can get by with just the bar cover. I prefer the case myself...until the damn plastic hinge breaks >:-(

woodconvert said:
You can get by with just the bar cover. I prefer the case myself...until the damn plastic hinge breaks >:-(
i tryed that my 460 can roll 360's with ease!not a good filling

case seems great in concept to keep everything in one place. probably is for a single saw/bar combo with minimal extra tools. A case does protect well in storage at home.

For my usages, I found there was not enough space, clumsy to transport and haul to the woods, and general PITA for me at least. I have all the spare parts, chains, tools, etc gear in a big red pcv tub with handle strap, and a saw vise that fits on plywood on top of that for sharpening. Easier one arm carry to the woods. the saws I just use bar covers, trimmed out to cover EVERY single inch of chain on the bottom of bar right back to the engine case. Packs better, lighter, just easier for me. So I gave away the two cases I had.

kcj

The orange plastic Stihi case is great. Although my hinge hasn't broken. My case has oil all over the bottom , inside, just wiped it out yesterday. I guess the oil drains back off of the bar or maybe the bar oil leaks from the saw. This oil would be all over my basement floor, or trunk. Also the case prevents the saw from rolling around in your car. I can fit my ear muffs, safety glasses, bar wrench, plug, sharpening file in the case.

If this is new to you, please make sure you use all the saftey equipment and be carefully.

You can get by with the plastic chain guard but I'm glad I bought the case.

Tom

The case is good. When I bought my farm boos the shop gave me a case at cost and it was hands down a great purchase. Protects the saw and the floor where you store it as well as keep small children away from it in the event they would be near it once stored. You can push it on to a shelf and the chain does not hook on things etc.

Case is nice to protect the saw and to keep everything together. It is not good for carring into the woods. I transport my two saws in the case and then if going into the woods, the case stays in the truck.

The new[er] case with the removable saw bar cover is nicer than the old one, but still too bulky for me.
I use the bar cover and a bag with rags in the bottom to carry the rest of the stuff.

I don't think I'd buy a case just to get a longer [than 15 inch] bar cover.

I have 2 stihl cases I have had for about 18 years. My Dolmars wont fit in the cases since they are a different configuration, if you lived closer I would make you an offer you couldn't refuse on a case.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I have 2 stihl cases I have had for about 18 years. My Dolmars wont fit in the cases since they are a different configuration, if you lived closer I would make you an offer you couldn't refuse on a case.

Shipper

A yes.... The Stihl graveyard continues to expand thanks to Dolmar.

sl7vk said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

A yes.... The Stihl graveyard continues to expand thanks to Dolmar.
That graveyard has some life left!

I tend to splill fuel and bar oil. Sometimes I overfill. Occasioanlly I'll fill up and leave a cover off because I like the smell of fuel/oil all over my pants the rest of the day. The case takes care of my idiocy.

If you carry the saw in the back of a PU then yes absolutely get a case....otherwise save your cash.

IMHO a case isn't worth the money they want for it, and most cases don't fit longer (i.e. over 18" or so) bars - I'd stick with a bar guard, and if you need to containerize the saw, put it in a cardboard box with one corner cut out for the bar, and a bunch of rags or old newspaper in the bottom...

Also cases start getting bulky when you have multiple saws - how much accessory storage do you need? I have a large tool box that I keep all my spare chains, filing stuff and other tools in, then carry the saws loose w/ just a bar cover. (I also get extra bar covers to carry my spare bars in)

Gooserider

Adios Pantalones said:
I tend to splill fuel and bar oil. Sometimes I overfill. Occasioanlly I'll fill up and leave a cover off because I like the smell of fuel/oil all over my pants the rest of the day. The case takes care of my idiocy.
Iam with you on that,you put 1000.00 bucks in a saw 40.00 case not to have your saw rolling in the back of the truck priceless (gas and oil is alot easy to clean up inside the case)If you think you might at some point will sell your saw for whatever reason its best to transport with a case!

Gooserider said:
IMHO a case isn't worth the money they want for it, and most cases don't fit longer (i.e. over 18" or so) bars - I'd stick with a bar guard, and if you need to containerize the saw, put it in a cardboard box with one corner cut out for the bar, and a bunch of rags or old newspaper in the bottom...

Also cases start getting bulky when you have multiple saws - how much accessory storage do you need? I have a large tool box that I keep all my spare chains, filing stuff and other tools in, then carry the saws loose w/ just a bar cover. (I also get extra bar covers to carry my spare bars in)

Gooserider

I'm with the Goose . . . bar guard only for me. Cases seem a bit bulky. As for the saw accessories . . . one gallon jug of gas/oil, one gallon jug of oil, chainsaw wrench, extra chain, file and sharpening guide (most of which fit in my pocket or in my ATV's front box) . . . I haven't run across much else I've needed to cart up (although a few wedges would have come in handy on a couple of occasions).

I have a wooden box for all my saw "stuff" ... wrench, files, parts brush (for dusting caps before filling), extra chains, a quart of oil and a small bottle of fuel. Just a bar cover on the saw. But i go out with just my saw and my box on the ATV, load up a couple firewood wagons and bring the wood to the house. I then refill my saw and fuel bottle before making another trip. Saw case would just be way to much bulk for my operation. If I do load up the truck, I just put my saw right against the tailgate and put the gas can right against the saw and it doesn't roll around.

WarmGuy said:

Mine came with a case. My last saw never had a case. I wouldn't bother.

Bigg_Redd said:
WarmGuy said:

you didnt get a case for your dads new echo?

smokinj said:
Bigg_Redd said:
WarmGuy said:

Nope. It was extra. He's got a checkbook.

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinj said:
Bigg_Redd said:
WarmGuy said:

Nope. It was extra. He's got a checkbook.
there is a really nice soft schell case fot that saw I think it would fit my 180ms??lol

I was at an auction last spring and bought a hard shell case for only $2. It was an all black case with Poulan on the bar sheeth. My stihl MS-170 fit like it was made for this case. Now I don't have to worry as much about this saw getting stolen, since no one would steel a Poulan. My other Stihl saws use sheaths or bar protector only.

Status
Not open for further replies.