Should I jump on any of these used saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
A local small engine repair guy has the following for sale. The quality of his repairs aside, are any of the following prime tools I shouldn't pass up? I currently have a "homeowner" level chainsaw and can tell it lacks power.

Husqvarna-137model, 16"bar, about 6 months old, $150. I have two of these.both used no more than 5 hours.
Husqvarna-345model, 18"bar, about 6 months old, $225.Also not used more than 5 hours.
Poulan 3000model, 20" bar, unsure of age, runs great though and in good condition, $175.
Poulan pole saw, 11' long, 2cycle engine, 10" bar, 1 month old, $175. used for 5 minutes.
Stihl-009model,16"bar, unsure of age, runs great and in good shape, $125.
Stihl-034model,20"bar, unsure of age, runs great and in good shape, $200.

wahoowad said:
A local small engine repair guy has the following for sale. The quality of his repairs aside, are any of the following prime tools I shouldn't pass up? I currently have a "homeowner" level chainsaw and can tell it lacks power.

Husqvarna-137model, 16"bar, about 6 months old, $150. I have two of these.both used no more than 5 hours.
Husqvarna-345model, 18"bar, about 6 months old, $225.Also not used more than 5 hours.
Poulan 3000model, 20" bar, unsure of age, runs great though and in good condition, $175.
Poulan pole saw, 11' long, 2cycle engine, 10" bar, 1 month old, $175. used for 5 minutes.

"I" would keep looking.
fyi:
The Husqvarna-137model is a Poulan ( Husqvarna owns Poulan )
Husqvarna-345model is a Husqvarna but still a small homeowner saw.
The Poulan pole saw is about what you can buy one for new with warranty.

What size saw are you looking for ? what are your needs? it this going to be a bigger second saw ?

I'm looking for something with more oomph than my 18" Poulon. It bogs down too easy, even when I'm not applying much pressure. I'm not necessarily in the market - my Poulon is getting the job done as I have been taking care of it and learning to keep the chain sharp. But I wouldn't mind upgrading if a great deal was to be had.

wahoowad said:
I'm looking for something with more oomph than my 18" Poulon. It bogs down too easy, even when I'm not applying much pressure. I'm not necessarily in the market - my Poulon is getting the job done as I have been taking care of it and learning to keep the chain sharp. But I wouldn't mind upgrading if a great deal was to be had.

I know Dolmer 5100 , Husqvarna 346 XP , Husqvarna 359 are very pouplar and are great mid-range chainsaws.

What realistic price range?
new or used ?
u want a good saw ? / a great saw ?
light weight , fast high preformace saw ? / heavier more torquer saw ?
What size wood u cutting?
what kind of wood? ( oak / elm / hedge apple / pine )
how much wood u cttting ?
looking for a saw to last likely to your life time or a throw away saw in a few years?

I owned a Poulan Pro 330 (54 cc ) lasted 2 years of maybe 8 cords of wood. D.O.A. and wasnt worth putting more $$ into. It didnt like Oak i guess.

Roospike said:
wahoowad said:

"I" would keep looking.
fyi:
The Husqvarna-137model is a Poulan ( Husqvarna owns Poulan )
Husqvarna-345model is a Husqvarna but still a small homeowner saw.
The Poulan pole saw is about what you can buy one for new with warranty.

What size saw are you looking for ? what are your needs? it this going to be a bigger second saw ?

I agree with Roo, keep looking.

wahoowad said:

Sounds to me your saw needs a tuneup, use a new or clean air filter new gas and adjust the carb jets, out counter clockwise will increase gas flow, in leans a engine of gas. I get a saw hot them lean out till they want to stall then count the turns out until RPMS drop or it is running rough. Then split to difference 1/2 way to lean. This is a starting point as hi speed jets are also set the same way with engine running full throtle, be very careful. cut some wood and out or in on the hi jet as necessary to get a strong running cutting saw. Its not easy some times, with a saw that will not start I set jets to factory specs first and go from there, if its just in the carb, they usually start.

Status
Not open for further replies.