Should I run HRV with Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tan

Oct 7, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi this is our first winter with a pellet stove. The house is a new build (2 yrs old) so it has an HRV system along with the forced air furnace. When we ran the (propane) furnace last year we ran the HRV all the time - if we didn't run it the windows would have major moisture.

Should I run the HRV with the pellet stove? Is there any advantage or disadvantage? I turned it off for most of yesterday and didn't see any moisture build up on the windows. Any advice? Thanks, this is an invaluable forum.

I run my HRV on low with my pellet stove to keep condensation off the windows. Sometimes I have to run a humidifier as well when the air is really dry.

Check your interior air humidity levels with a gauge/meter(s), anything else is a guess - yes even moisture on windows. I would kind of doubt that they are high enough you need to run your HRV. But you never know. Most people find they need to humidify, if anything, during the winter - and not dehumidify.

Moisture on windows could be a sign of good tight windows, rather than too-high humidity. Air currents moving past the glass would likely stop the moisture from forming - something there would likely be less of with tight windows. If you don't have anything else generating air currents near your windows (like heating baseboards or furnace vents, fans etc.), some moisture could pool & freeze on the glass even if there is not that much overall moisture, if it is quite cold out.

We have an HRV, hardly ever run it in winter. Except maybe if someone smokes something cooking a meal. Sitting here right now looking at the meter on the shelf next to me, it says 33%. The other one, in the kitchen, says 40%, right in the middle of its green zone.

Thanks for the advice. So maple1 what would be an acceptable reading for humidity? I don't have a humidity gauge right now - will get one.

H R V
heat recovery ventilation

Thanks, I Googled it and all I found was Honda's HR-V, which means High Rider Vehicle, and it is a medical term for Heart Rate Variability.

I didn't see anything referring to Heat Recovery Ventilation.

It would clarify things if posters would avoid initialisms. I blame smartphones.

The only reason I know it is my youngest is an HVAC tech
Heating; Ventilation,Air conditioning Teck