Should I worry about pipes freezing in the walls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet1

Minister of Fire
Apr 27, 2008
USA
In the past we've used our pellet stove to heat our basement and as supplemental heat to the first floor. We have two oil fired boilers, one heats the first floor, and the other heats the second & third floors, plus handles the indirect hot water needs. For this coming winter I'm going to be installing a pellet stove on the first floor with the hope of pretty much eliminating the need for the first floor boiler. My concern is the pipes freezing in the walls during extreme cold spells if the first floor system is not active or circulating. Is this an irrational fear, or should I plan on occasionally using the boiler during really cold periods? FWIW, we have blown in insulation and I have no idea how well (or complete) the job was done where the pipes run.

On a semi related note... I've turned down the temp limits on my first floor boiler for the summer. I've always heard it's not a good idea to shut them down completely, but since I don't plan on needing this one much in the future, is this something I might want to consider doing? What happens if you do shut them down, rust and other internal corrosion issues?

It sounds like I might just want to leave the boiler online but inactive and set to its min. limit temps to play it safe.

Thoughts on the pipes in the walls without using antifreeze in the system (during the cold spells)?

I've been told that as the air continues to bleed out of your hot water boiler system, there is less and less air in the water itself. It's the air in the water that helps promote rust, but once the air has bled out of a sealed system, it should significantly reduce the rusting effect.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.