Should I worry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2012
Central BC
Yesterday I went out and bought this flu thermometer and getting this reading.
DSC_0202.jpg
While my cat probe is reading this.
DSC_0200.jpg
Should I be worried that the flu temp isn't up in the "burn zone"? Or, just I just take this thermometer back and not worry about the flu temp?
The flu temp is actually down this morning, at the 100::F area.
If I crank the stove up to get the flu temp up, the cat probe will go off the scale and will roast us out of the house.
The thermometer is on my Blaze King - King, single wall flu at 18" above the stove.

I think that is normal for a blaze king.

I think you are probably just fine. When my PH is in cat mode the stove temp is between 450 and 500 degrees and the flue is around 150 degrees. It is actually a good sign that the cat mode is working well.

According to our friends at Condar, the magnetic thermometers are made and to be used with single wall stove pipe. It appears you upgraded (good for you reading manual recommendations) to double wall. Typical single wall readings average between 200-300 on a low-medium setting.

Chris

I think you are probably just fine. When my PH is in cat mode the stove temp is between 450 and 500 degrees and the flue is around 150 degrees. It is actually a good sign that the cat mode is working well.

Is this an external reading? On single wall or double wall pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.