Should the flames get to the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
Perhaps a seemingly obvious question, but I was caught a little off gaurd.

Last night I was setting the stove up for a long winters night (FPX 33/Lopi declaration). And I noticed something a little odd. Where the bypass rod goes through the flue collar to connect to the bypass plate, I could see little bits of fire (with the bypass closed). The fire in the firebox went around the baffel and was going up the SS liner. The fire was going really well, but no indications of overheating, the tubes were not even glowing. But I could see the fire through the tiny clearance between the bypass rod and the flue collar of the firebox. As shown in this picture stolen from the manual, you could see the fire going up the stack if you sighted aling the bypass rod (top arrow shown the eye bolt being threaded on.

Should the flames get to the chimney?

I asume this is normal, but wasnt 100% confident with my belief and came here looking for reassurance.

I also noticed a small pile of black soot under where the rod is, just looked like soot on the rod falling off when it is pulled out.

Thanks
Rick

I couldn't open the attatchment. My stove has a flue damper in the collar and when the fire is going strong I can see flame where the damper control passes through the collar. I don't worry about it. It's always done it. From your description it sounds like a similar situation. As long as the collar doesn't turn red.....

Thats what I thought, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.