Should the joint between the insert outlet collar and the SS flue be sealed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billjustbill

Hearth Supporter
Dec 26, 2008
Texas
I have a Lopi Freedom Bay with a 6" diameter, fifteen degree angled elbow, that attaches to a 4' long section of SS flex flue. Then the flex flue attaches to a 5' long solid piece of 6" SS flue that has 4' long slip joint piece that exits out the sealed plate at the top of the chimney.

When the crimped end of the elbow is pushed down into the insert's collar, it was notched out for the damper rod. There is a light intake whistle, but nothing that seems to be a problem. Should this connection be sealed all the way around the and a dab put over any gap between the elbow's notched out space and the sliding damper rod?

What product would be used that takes that extreme temp as well as the expansion and contraction?

Thanks,
Bill

We always sealed that joint to a degree - but when we had to do a notch or something like that, we didn't bother to seal that. In other words, it is not the total airtightness of it that matters - really just the combined open area....when it is too large it can cut down on draft in the stove.

Either way - with a good draft and decent pipe fit it should not be a big problem even if not sealed. It could lose a couple percent of efficiency.....

I'm not even close to an expert on the subject, just responding because I have a some free time. I had a smoke smell in the room that the stove is located, to eliminate all sources of smoke I wrapped the double wall stove pipe joints with fiberglass gasket rope secured in place with plumbers strap. The smell was still present so I knew it was a stove issue. One time my chimney was restricted after burning pine wood and smoke came out of every stove pipe connection/elbow. In my opinion any hole in a stove pipe is a health risk. My next stove pipe will be a custom made one piece and the only connection will be at the stove and chimney.

I know someone will have more knowledge than I.

Someone on here who does installs professionally (and helped me figure out that the brackets that came with my Lopi were supposed to hold the liner on!) said he put stove cement in there to seal it. But my dealer said not to, so I didn't. The friend who did my install stuffed a little of the insulation from the insulated liner that was kinda loose down in there, and I got a couple feet of gasket from my dealer and wrapped it around twice and kinda poked it down in the crevace with a screwdriver. Seems to be nice and sealed that way. There are several sizes of gasket you could choose from and you can poke them down in there pretty good. It will not be in direct heat contact so it works well just like it does in the doors and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.