Shoulder season goes on and on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woke up to snow in WNC this morning and 17F. VC Resolute kept us warm through the night. Added a little paper, kindling, and an oak log and 3 minutes later it was ablaze. Stacked
in locust logs; that'll keep the bride warm all day. Plenty of wood for her to stoke it with as well.

And the hot tub is serviced and ready too.

What am I doing at work today @$@#@! :(

It is nice looking at the wood pile this year, only used half a cord so far burning mostly at night. Last night was the first night I had to get up and do a 3am load to keep the heat pump from kicking on so much.

I am not complaining about the weather but I get strange looks from people with all the wood in my yard, right now it is "that man is crazy" looks, but once it gets cold for a few weeks it will be "that man is a genius" looks.

Yeah, it takes the herd a little time to figure out what some of us take for granted. Honestly, If I had more time, I could find all the hard wood
I need to keep my home and garage warm.

When it comes to BTUs, I'll chose wood.

mellow said:
It is nice looking at the wood pile this year...
Ja, just like a penny saved is a penny earned, so too, a cord saved...

mellow said:
I am not complaining about the weather but I get strange looks from people with all the wood in my yard, right now it is "that man is crazy" looks, but once it gets cold for a few weeks it will be "that man is a genius" looks.
It reminds me about the joke about the weather service and the Indians.

Indians ask their new chief whether the winter will be cold or mild. Since the young chief never learned the ways of his ancestors, he tells them to collect firewood, then he goes off and calls the National Weather Service.

"Will the winter be bad?" he asks.

"Looks like it," is the answer.

So the chief tells his people to gather more firewood. A week later, he calls again. "Are you positive the winter will be very cold?"

"Absolutely."

The chief tells his people to gather even more firewood, then calls the Weather Service again: "Are you sure?"

"I'm telling you, it's going to be the coldest winter on record."

"How do you know?"

"Because the Indians are gathering firewood like crazy!"

Hit 0 this morning, but this cold snap looks short lived. Looks like 40's on Friday so back to burning low and slow with 1 stove. I kind a want to see those -20 days to see if these little Keystone's can handle it. They haven't had the chance to show me ye but can't complain about the mild weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.