Shoulder Season Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This pine will be for next year, I thought more could be milled but the irregular shape made this some of next years S.S.W. I plan on going back in tomorrow but will end up milling.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4209.jpg
    100_4209.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_4210.jpg
    100_4210.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 472
looks good. have ? how long will beech last once split and stacked. Dosen't it get punkey fast.

You must have 3 or 4 or 5 separate stacks of various woods.
"day fire" fire wood
"Almost shoulder season" fire wood
Shoulder season" fire wood
"winter" fire wood
"Real cold day" winter fire wood.
Make me glad I have 2 types of wood, birch & spruce.
I couldn't keep up with so many types of wood & know what/when to burn it. LOL :lol:
It's all BTUs
N60 burns shoulder season fire wood 24/7/365. :)
Great pics Zap (can you tell there is some "wood envy" here LOL :)

jimosufan said:
looks good. have ? how long will beech last once split and stacked. Dosen't it get punkey fast.

On the beech, we have some going on two years old stacked, still looks good. If the beech is on the ground it will get punky fast.

zap

bogydave said:
"day fire" fire wood
"winter" fire wood
I couldn't keep up with so many types of wood & know what/when to burn it. LOL :lol:
It's all BTUs

5 seperate stacks, aspen,cherry,beech,sugar maple and pine. Oak we have zero trees and the ash we have some but I never cut it unless mother nature puts it on the ground.

zap

bogydave said:
"day fire" fire wood
"winter" fire wood
It's all BTUs

Looks like my better half is not convinced about burning pine in the woodstove, looks like this pine will be burned outside.

zap

Zap, she just needs a demo or two.

zapny said:
bogydave said:
"day fire" fire wood
"winter" fire wood
It's all BTUs

Looks like my better half is not convinced about burning pine in the woodstove, looks like this pine will be burned outside.

zap

I don't end up with pine so I can't say yea or nay. My sister in South Dakota burns only pine, not by choice because thats all they have out there. She says said there is no problem.

I burn the fire pit wood in the sholder season

xman23 said:
I burn the fire pit wood in the sholder season

Same here, the only way I could get well ahead with the wood supply was to avoid using the fire pit this year, and keep every scrap for burning now.

Of course, that does mean I might still be burning shoulder season wood in mid January....... ;-)

Looks good Zap - I'm having a big pine taken down soon (growing into the side and foundation of my workshop/shed) - I'll keep a lot of it for shoulder season. +1 on the beech as well - I have beech in the stack from May 2009 and Jan. 2010 and it is all rock solid. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.