Shoulder Season Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Looks like this dead White Pine will become shoulder season wood, work will start this weekend, I'm thinking it should be ready to burn by fall. In pic 4645, that is part of the pine that came down a while back.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4641.jpg
    100_4641.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_4642.jpg
    100_4642.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 100_4643.jpg
    100_4643.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 100_4644.jpg
    100_4644.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 100_4645.jpg
    100_4645.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 253
Now we're abbreviating shoulder season as s/s? I originally read it as split and stacked. Jk Zap. Pine on!

Zap, I haven't burned any pine yet this year, because I don't happen to have any, but I did find a small section of smaller pine blow downs, that I'd like to cut up. By the looks of things, they have been down awhile. I have mostly hardwood, and would like to plant pine for better wind protection. Have fun this weekend.

I use my little living room stove for the shoulder season.
But most of the time I'm firing up the gasser.
I'll use soft wood in it. I was working from home today, so burned 3 loads of pine and poplar.
Saving some yellow birch for the night burn.
For me, hardwood is about $120/cord (tree length). Softwood is free (from my own property).
Happy burning!

Zap, I'm gonna nickname you "woods custodian", you are doing a great job cleaning up yer woods, love seeing the pics bud......keep up the good work...

Backwoods, 2012-13 will be our first for burning pine too, I'm cutting the dead stuff this weekend hoping it will be ready along with our other pine.

Maplewood, wish we had a woodstove upstairs, we would burn less wood thats for sure. We have a propane fireplace upstairs which they just came to fill up the tank, put 10 gallons in which was our first delivery since November.

Scotty Overkill, once we have four cord of shoulder season wood (have about two cord up) it's time for some hardwood. Cleaning up the lot the house sits on is one of the things I'll concentrate on more this year.

Thanks
WC

Status
Not open for further replies.