Show the sawsite we mean business

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

North of 60

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2007
Yukon Canada
Lay down a pic of your saws. These are the stoves next best friends other than dry wood. ;-)

Attachments

• wood blenders.jpg
    wood blenders.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 3,574
I thought this thread woulda took off. Well, here ya go......
Stihl 034AV, Husqvarna 316 (elec), Mac 3516 (given to me in exchange for cutting a branch), old 12" Craftsman (given by a friend cleaning his garage), In the background is my HF 8hp B&S;/27 ton splitter. Not pictured; Remington-saw-on-a-stick)

Attachments

• 100_1517.JPG
    100_1517.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 2,943
Oh, we mean business.

Attachments

• vibeking.jpg
    vibeking.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,804
  • wrightsaw.jpg
    wrightsaw.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,214
The one on the left might be a Mall. There were a whole bunch of different brands that looked pretty similar back in the late '40s and early '50s, I believe. The one on the right is a Wright Reciprocating Saw. The blade slides back and forth and is driven by the driveshaft. I've never fired it up, although it does generate a spark when you yank the cord, so it would probably run. I wouldn't want to tangle with that big two-man saw. You can turn the bar 45 degrees for felling. Or, I should say you have to turn the bar 45 degrees for felling, because unlike a modern chainsaw engine, the carburetor on those things only worked in the vertical position.

MuckSavage said:
Thanks Eric! Anyone else? C'mon, I know you can put my puny pile o' saws to shame!
I guess the rest buy their wood already processed. Ya know the softies like Gunner, Bro B, Hogz, iceman and so on....
Psssst That outa get em started. ;-)

I'll list 'em, I don't have a group picture.
Stihl. 009. enough N.O.S. parts to build a brand new 015. and a PORTED MS-361
Husky one lone PORTED 2100 (this will pull your arm off on start-up if you're not ready for it)
Dolmar 5100 with heated handles and one without. 7900 with heated handles and one PORTED one without.
Wright Blade Saw model 520 runs and I have cut with it (slowly)
MacCulloch 1-40 restored to showroom condition runs like new
Homelite blue XL-12 restored to showroom condition runs like, new oils when it wants to (manual oile loses prime)
Mini-Brute 12volt electric saw powered by a Bosch starter motor.
Sears older electric saw for when it's too early or late to run a gas saw.

There were 3 Jonsered's 49-SP (great saws, gave 2 of them to friends and sold the other one, which I regret)
There were 2 Stihl 064's an 026 an 011 or two, 2 or 3 015's , some more Mac's, a David Bradley, a Dolmar 112,119,120 and a KMS4
(rotary engine saw in a billion pieces, got it that way for $50 and traded it for a new 7900 with 20,24,28 bar and chain set ups)
At one point there were 20 or more running saws and there have been more than 40 total, I can't even remember them all.

:coolgrin:

Attachments

• echo%20long%20bar.jpg
    echo%20long%20bar.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,492
Is that for real Gunner? What a 5 foot bar?

No it's bogus, saw it on the saw site.

Just running a Stihl 029 Super. But then again, all I do is cut wood. %-P

Gunner said:

My local Stihl dealer (Ed's Rentals, Erial, NJ) has an MS880 with a 59" bar. (might as well say 5') I think the price is like $2500. The guy told me they actually sell a few a year.....imagine.....in South Jersey!

Here ya go:my weapons of choice and my start on next year's wood.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 995
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 982
MuckSavage said:
Gunner said:

My local Stihl dealer (Ed's Rentals, Erial, NJ) has an MS880 with a 59" bar. (might as well say 5') I think the price is like $2500. The guy told me they actually sell a few a year.....imagine.....in South Jersey!

Tree service guys buy those. And, loggers like the one in my avatar.

Eric Johnson said:
The one on the left might be a Mall. There were a whole bunch of different brands that looked pretty similar back in the late '40s and early '50s, I believe. The one on the right is a Wright Reciprocating Saw. The blade slides back and forth and is driven by the driveshaft. I've never fired it up, although it does generate a spark when you yank the cord, so it would probably run. I wouldn't want to tangle with that big two-man saw. You can turn the bar 45 degrees for felling. Or, I should say you have to turn the bar 45 degrees for felling, because unlike a modern chainsaw engine, the carburetor on those things only worked in the vertical position.

wall yes the one on right is a Wright Reciprocating Saw for sure The one on the left might be a mall it could be a disston their tons of others it might be 2

In the soup

Attachments

• firewood5.JPG
    firewood5.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 799
What is a ported saw?

Would this be good on a MS441?

BJ64 said:
What is a ported saw?

Would this be good on a MS441?
you can port any saw its just opening up the muffler and retuneing it gives you more horse power, and yes that 441 would run like a bat out of ____ ,the 441 are very resticted mufflers trying to meet new emmisions

Flash's MS660 and my 5100s.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• WoodButcher_MS660_5100S.jpg
    WoodButcher_MS660_5100S.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 634
That was a work out for my poor little saws...

Attachments

• saws.jpg
    saws.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 598
Status
Not open for further replies.