Shurheat Wood Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

May 12, 2010
Northern Minnesota
Hi Everyone,

new to the forum and getting ready to burn alot of wood for the rest of my life! I currently have a red Hotblast wood furnace in the basement, a cozyheat fireplace on the second floor and as of right now I have a new looking wood stove in the garage. I can't find a name, but on the door of the stove it says "All Nighter" and on the bottom it says "Moe". And I just purchased a wood burning Sauna stove for the sauna in the garage. So as you can see I can either go broke heating with fuel oil or I can get busy cutting wood.

Here are a couple newbie questions that I have. I just picked up a red wood furnace at an auction that is literally twice the size as the Hotblast! But I can't find a thing about it on the Internet, it is thermostat controled and all it says on the door where the wood goes in is "Shurheat". Has anyone heard of this wood biting stove/furnace?

Just so I know, what is the difference in a wood stove and wood furnace?

Last but not least, I plan on moving the "shurheat" stove to the basement and move the "hotblast" stove to the garage. I plan on putting the "allnighter moe" on craigslist but I'm just not sure what to sell it for. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to being a lifetime member.

Welcome! Not sure I can help you on some of you questions, but I do have a couple things for you.

First, before you invest too much time and money in installing a wood stove in your garage, make sure you check with your homeowners insurance. Many will not let you install a wood burning appliance in the garage.

A wood furnace typically implies a series of duct work. A wood stove is essentially a "space heater". A wood stove is typically free standing and the only thing connected to it is your chimney/flue.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more.

What kind of blower should I get for the Shurheat furnace? I guess it is a furnace because I plan on running retangular duct from the unit up into the living room.

A wood furnace will have a sheetmetal jacket surrounding the actual firebox, with an air space in between. The blower blows air into this air space and forces the hot air into the connected duct work and into your living space. Make sure that is what you have before trying to do something potentially dangerous. Trying to duct heat from a wood stove instead of a furnace is a no-no.

If you are just making your own system, almost any fan from a furnace or wood furnace will do. Make sure you have the proper t-stat settings so your fan will come on and go off when it is supposed to. The cfm of the blower you get really depends on the size of your house and how you have your set-up.

Will this blower motor work for my Shurheat Wood Furnace? I just found it on the craigslist in my area. It is a model #SA55NXWR-1363 . Can anyone tell me if this is what I am looking for? Thanks

Twig, before recommending anything for the Shurheat, we would need to know more about this furnace. There are some important safety issues involved in case the unit overheats due to a power outage or blower failure. Can you post some pictures of the unit with the hope of a better ID. Also, look on the back and sides for any UL testing plate that has more info on this unit.

Thanks to Everyone, I will get pics posted up this afternoon. I just found a deal on craigslist for a blower motor. Can some please tell me if the following motor would work on my Wood Furnace:

Emerson Belted Fan and Blower Motor, Model #SA55NXWR-1363
¼ horsepower
Single Phase
Resilient Mounted
Sleeve Bearing
115V
60HZ
1725 RPM

Looks to me like that is just a motor. Take a look at it first to see if that is right though.

Theres more than just needing a blower. Do you have the Limit/control to control the blower? Does it have a forced draft? Its impossible to recommend a blower not knowing anything about the furnace (Btus). Plus everything needs to be wired correctly, as well as proper clearances for the ductwork for safety purposes. I also wondered if there is a tag on the unit. With the amount of wood a furnace will take and the amount of heat they can produce they can be dangerous if everythings not installed properly.

laynes69 said:
Theres more than just needing a blower. Do you have the Limit/control to control the blower? Does it have a forced draft? Its impossible to recommend a blower not knowing anything about the furnace (Btus). Plus everything needs to be wired correctly, as well as proper clearances for the ductwork for safety purposes. I also wondered if there is a tag on the unit. With the amount of wood a furnace will take and the amount of heat they can produce they can be dangerous if everythings not installed properly.

+1 then you need to know what size your home is and how many cfm's your going to have to produce.

I was thinking it would be as simple as just cutting a whole bunch of wood. I have pics of the unit, I will post as soon as I figure out how to do so. I really do thank you all for the help.

IMG_2002.JPG

If you have a hotblast installed, why remove it? Is it in poor shape, or doesn't produce enough heat?

The Hotblast is in great shape. I picked it up an an auction for $140. Well, just last week I picked up the Shurheat at an auction and it is literally twice the size as the Hotblast. It has a temperture control and a thermostat. The fire box itself seems to be quite larger also with what appears to be heat channels that run thru the top of the firebox. If someone could email me at [email protected] I could email you pics to post. For some reason I can't post pics.

Thanks

Here are the pics. There are quite a few.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 413
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 402
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 405
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 392
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 381
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 407
  • photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 398
  • photo8.jpg
    photo8.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 407
Last one.

Attachments

• photo9.jpg
    photo9.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 379
The furnace has a limit control for the fan and the automatic damper in the front of the door. I'm thinking more than likely it had a blower inside the sheetmetal box in the last picture. All the safety features are there if they operate properly. I don't see a tag on the unit so you should contact your insurance company before I would attempt to install it. It doesn't look bad for its age, which its an older furnace. Look inside for warping, cracks, etc. That will tell you if its been abused or overfired.

Bigger isn't always better when it comes to wood stoves/furnaces. You need to properly size a furnace to your requirements. I can honestly say that my furnace is too much for my current house. I can rarely keep a fire going 24/7 as it just gets too hot in the house. Outside doors get left open quite often in the winter just to cool it down so I don't have to shut down and restart.

You know, I talked with my wife last night and we feel after reading all the post that just maybe the Hotblast is the way to go. It is a smaller unit but once we run duct straight up and thru the kitchen/living area, we really feel it will more than heat our home. Being of the mind set that bigger is better, I have to swallow my pride here and listen to the advice from you all. We have 2 small children and the last thing I want is an unsafe oversized unit. How can I determine if the Hotblast is the proper size for my home? I have much to learn about wood furnaces and fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.