Shut down for the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
Yesterday April 8th, I shut off the P61, today the 9th I put away the humidifier. We actually had the windows open in the house today for a while and it's supposed to be in the low 60's the rest of the week. So done deal for this season for me anyway. Good luck to the rest of you all out there, I know some are still seeing wintery conditions !

I Had about 3/4 full hopper and couple semi-chilly nights here so burned them away...
. do my spring clean prob end of this month.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Yep, I'll clean the glass and crack the door open this week. Meanwhile I've charged up the garden tractor battery and currently charging up the boat battery. With 60 deg weather coming in, time to cleanup the yard, plant some grass where the new septic went in over the winter and go fishing LOL ! We have trout everywhere, 30 inch spawn sized pickerel in the shallows too. So ya I'll get into some of that later in the week, unfortunately my wife is working a full week this week ( she is my best fishing partner).

Last edited:
Haven't burned in about 3 weeks, it's been mild enough that I left the oil burner take over and it's only run a few times during the nights.

Haven't burned in about 3 weeks, it's been mild enough that I left the oil burner take over and it's only run a few times during the nights.
I was thinking of it back then myself but both the wife and I missed the stove in the evenings and over night so we picked up some pellets and burned till yesterday morning. But we're done now.

Reactions: rich2500
Same here. Let what was left in the hopper burn this morning, with temps supposed to be 70 the next couple days and 55-60 after that I think I'm done for this season.

Sam

Did my last burn sat into sunday. Looking forward to taking a break from feeding my 'beast':)
I know, I get up in the morning and head to a dark stove ! Used to giving a scrape, swirl the pellets around in the hopper if it doesn't need filling , then go make the coffee. I gotta get used to just going to the coffee maker in the morning and not look at the dark stove with a little stir of panic because it isn't going. We're odd creatures of habit aren't we ? Least I am.

Reactions: Tonyray
Consider full clean it soon, eventually moist air backflow when idle will cause a corrosive condition in your heat exchanger, causing scale that's difficult to remove and reduces heat xfer efficiency
Get that stuff out while its still dry and fluffy.

I suggest clean, then plug the exhaust outside , put a tub of damp-rid in the stove and leave a reminder in the burn pot

For 35+ years I left coal ash in my stove from season to season and we didn't air condition much in those days. Never had a corrosion issue. Even when we did start air conditioning more, still not an issue. Then we bought the $3900 Harman and I felt I needed to "take better care of it", "fix something that wasn't broken", since it's such an expensive unit. So that first season, I cleaned it all up , sealed it all up and in the fall found water streaks of rust down the insides of the stove. Why ? Well we do air condition now and the living room unit blows almost on the stove, I surmise that causes condensation inside the stove. So now I just crack the door open so everything from humidity ( the house is dryer than outdoors of course with AC going) and temps are equal inside and outside the stove, and all has been fine since, no rust. So now I don't try to fix something that isn't broken. For the record, next season will be season 5 with the P61 and 40 something burning stoves in general.

What ever it is you all feel you need to do with your stoves in your houses, have at it.

Last edited:
I am still using mine briefly in the mornings, still have a over half a hopper left. I won't shut it down yet, soon perhaps but not yet.

For 35+ years I left coal ash in my stove from season to season and we didn't air condition much in those days. Never had a corrosion issue. Even when we did start air conditioning more, still not an issue. Then we bought the $3900 Harman and I felt I needed to "take better care of it", "fix something that wasn't broken", since it's such an expensive unit. So that first season, I cleaned it all up , sealed it all up and in the fall found water streaks of rust down the insides of the stove. Why ? Well we do air condition now and the living room unit blows almost on the stove, I surmise that causes condensation inside the stove. So now I just crack the door open so everything from humidity ( the house is dryer than outdoors of course with AC going) and temps are equal inside and outside the stove, and all has been fine since, no rust. So now I don't try to fix something that isn't broken. For the record, next season will be season 5 with the P61 and 40 something burning stoves in general.

What ever it is you all feel you need to do with your stoves in your houses, have at it.
my biggest concern is rust on the heat exchanger... sometimes an "overlooked "spot