1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Sick of Zucchini? Here's anudder one...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by firebroad, Aug 3, 2012.

1. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    This one I have doing for years, it's easy and novel. Some people call them Zucchini "Crab" Cakes, but they don't really taste like crab; however, they are pretty darn good, in my opinion:

2 cups grated zucchini--you can leave skin on. You can get rid of two medium zukes this way.
    1 egg
    1 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
    1 Tbsp Old Bay
    Tsp of lemon -- I use Tru Lemon, comes in little packets and doesn't add liquid.
    Anything else you want to throw in for flavor( chopped onion, grated carrot, various herbs).
    Some flour for coating

Put a Tbsp of salt in with the grated zucchini and mix thoroughly, let it sit about ten minutes or so to release the liquid. Press out as much water as you can, then add the other ingredients.
    Form in patties and dredge through the flour, then fry in oil just like a crabcake. Cook about 7-10 minutes on medium high.
    This should make 3-4 cakes, depending on the size you like.

I like to eat 'em with home grown tomatoes and other vegies on the side
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I make relish and bread out of the extra. Made cakes similar to these in the past and they are good.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    There is also recipes for Mock apple pie all over the web. I have a neighbor that likes to make them. He does it to mess with people. You will SWEAR that you are eating an apple pie. Very tasty.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Zucchini Unlimited. Exactly like apple. Was a great recipe except for all the sugar...:(
  5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    All of our zucchini and squash died on the vine.....very sad!
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    My wife made a zuchini chocolate cake last week that was so good that we have asked for another one.

Another thing she makes with zuchinis is zu canoes. You slice them in half lengthwise, then scrape out the innards (but save), leaving about a 1/4" thick wall. Then saute up some onions, peppers, etc. add the scraped out innards, season and mix with rice. Stuff this mixture back into the zuchini boats, top with a little cheese or grated cheese and bake until lightly browned.
    fishingpol and ScotO like this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

that sounds fantastic! That's it, I'm heading over the mountain tomorrow to get some corn on the cob, looks like I'll be getting some zukes too.......
  8. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Principality of Pontinha
    This thread proves one thing.

Why the hell do we all keep planting zucchini?

Some kind of worm. Happened to us too.
  9. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Same thing here Jack just got a few and then gone. Last weekend I tilled and put Zuch. seed in gonna see if I can get a late crop.
  10. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I love squash and zucchini, I normally have it twice a week this time a year.
  11. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    The wife made the mock apple pie last year umm good. She also makes a good zuchinni lasagna.
  12. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Fresh zucchini bread. MMMMM good
    Will try the zuc cakes :)
  13. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Lots of great ways to make it,one of my fav ways, get one that will fit into a 9x13 baking dish. Halve it and remove seeds with spoon, put in dish skin side down. Brown 1lb sausage in a skillet and top zucchini with sausaage and 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour 1 quart pasta sauce over the top and bake at 350 for 30 min.
  14. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    3 times a lady....worms all around! I almost feel responsible...had I kiled them suckers when they at my house the rest of you may have been spared. I apologize.
  15. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  16. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Vine borers got my zucc's this year. Bastids.

Hitting the farm stand tomorrow, I'll pick some up & try it. Thanks FB !
  17. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Great suggestions here!

I have used dipel dust as a natural way to get rid of those squash vine borers effectively. My own bio-warfare program of sorts. Also extra effective on tomato horn worms
  18. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Last year, squash bugs OBLITERATED my entire crop of butternut squash, which is normally resistant to pest. The ground was literally moving with them. I used dipel, permethrin, and hand picked them, along with scraping off their eggs. This year I planned NOT to grow any cucurbits, but in a moment of weakness put in two zucchini plants. They are thriving and putting out zukes like nobody's business!! Goes to show you never can tell from one year to the next, there are so many variables involved. Hang in there Dixie & Jack, next year will be better!!
  19. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    Plenty of zucchini elsewhere in the county. Been seeing a lot of it.
  20. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana

I had squash bugs bad last year too...not as bad this year. If you put some scrap boards under the squash it seems to keep the bugs from bothering them. Worked good for me anyway.

I didn't need any help from bugs to kill my plants this year...the drought did just fine in wiping them out.
  21. kalevi

kalevi Member

Loc:
    Ottawa Ontario
    Squirrels were eating my zucchini flowers so I put a net around them. Now a chipmunk tunnels under the net and eats the zucchini. I've only managed to get 5 zukes out 6 plants. The squirrels also take my tomatoes when they get to a certain size. They tried the cayenne pepper but stopped that pretty quick.
  22. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y

Do you have a .22? ;)
  23. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Holy smokes, that's an invasion!!!
  24. kalevi

kalevi Member

Loc:
    Ottawa Ontario
    I'm not allowed to use a firearm in city limits. Pellet guns count as firearms. There are dozens of squirrels in my area because of all the trees.
  25. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    How about a havahart or other live trap? My husband used to use them when we lived in the suburbs. When we got a rabbit, we had rabbit dinner. Squirrels were a bit trickier--plus, I didn't like to skin them.