1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Sickeeeeeeemore

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Shipper50, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    My neighbor has a Sycamore tree that was left by the loggers who left the tops and he has bucked what is left of it. Is the wood worth seasoning and how long should I look for this to season?

I can put it in the open where the wind and sun can get to it all the time, just want to make sure its worth the hassle.

Thanks
    Shipper

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jamess67

Jamess67 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    I hear its a last resort wood. I wouldnt mess with it.
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    It's HORABILE to split and is usually wringing wet. I agree, it's a last resort, I wouldn't work to hard for it!
  4. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    sometimes called gopher wood ,throw a piece in the stove ,then go for another one ,burns up like cardboard
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    But it will burn.... If you can get it and split it you can burn it. Personally, I'd take it.
  6. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    hmmm, anybody that's got sycamore and don't want it can drop it off at my place :)

sure, it ain't oak or hickory, but I'm burnin' some right now, it's perfect for spring and fall.

lights easy, burns hot, great for short fires.

splits hard depending on growth habit of tree, a straight trunk ain't too bad to split by hand, but large twisted pieces can be nasty.

dries in one season if split rather small and left in the sun and wind.

if you have a splitter I'd take it for sure. if you split by hand, and it's straight stuff, not too bad, if you split by hand and its a big trunk diameter you'll pound the wedges quite a bit to split it for sure.
  7. Chief Ryan

Chief Ryan New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    It's a pain in the neck to split but it burns ok. Burns like a soft maple (which i think it is). I had a bunch this year. It's great to get a fire going.
  8. Risser09

Risser09 New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Agree that you should go for it. Free wood is free wood. It actually burns pretty hot with lots of intense flame action.
  9. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    It is not a Maple...
  10. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Since my buddy next door had it mostly bucked up and laying on the groung I went ahead and threw it in my trailer. Someone once told me when I burn it, it beats a snowball.

Shipper

Attached Files:

11. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    I personally like Sycamore; its heavy as heck when fresh, pretty light when dry, but it ignites easily, burns nicely and throws some good heat-not like Hickory or Locust or so, but pretty good heat. I take it when I can get it. I think that it kind of smells like "wet grass" when green.

And that picture of your dog is too much! Great photo...
  12. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    shipper you done right gettin' that sycamore, i got a pile of it on the back porch and it's perfect for this time of year...i just keep it separate in my wood pile so i know where it is when i want it :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.