Q&A Side or Bottom Vented Wood Fireplace ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I live in a 1935 2 story brick building in NC (4 units). I would like to put a fireplace in my condo- however- I live on the first floor. I have excellent access to the basement and side of the building- but very limited access through the unit above my home. I prefer a fireplace over a stove- and a wood burning unit. Any suggestions. Could I vent to the side of the building? If so- do I have run pipe up past the roof line? What about a bottom vented solution? I heard these now exist.

Answer:

Wood fireplaces are only up-vent- no bottom vent or rear vent. You can get gas and/or pellet units which are direct vent. ALL wood units do have to be vented all the way up the building. Take a look at some of the pellet stoves on HearthNet if you want to burn wood. Otherwise- a gas unit (lp or natural) will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.