Signs of too much draft (overdrafting?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

batmanavich

Sep 11, 2014
Homewood, IL
Gentlemen,

I have my Kuma Sequoia insert installed and burning. This insert puts out heat like you would probably believe. That being said, I am having difficulty keeping her under control after reloading the fireplace.

Some background. The house is a 2-1/2 story, outside wall brick chimney. I installed the 8" Flex King HD liner from chimney liner depot, and only cut about 3-4 feet of liner off of the 30 foot length, so I estimate I have 26+ feet of liner in the chimney. Around the liner I poured in cement-vermiculite insulation.

When I start up the fire, or when I load wood on the coals I have to leave the door cracked, and the fire really gets cooking. It will draw up enough draft to pull the door closed, and as soon as that happens I start to get a pulsating whistle sound from the stove, and at times smoke puffs out of the four holes near the catalyst engaging lever, which I assume are there to provide air for the catalyst to burn off the remaining gases. The only way to get this to stop is to either re-crack the door, or to restrict the combustion lever to closed which then starts to soot up the front window. After about 20 minutes, and the combustion air damper clanging for half that time, I can open up the combustion lever and the fire will be back under control and will burn off the soot from the glass.

Before I installed I inquired with Kuma if it were possible to size down to a 7" liner due to the length of my chimney, but was advised that the stove is only listed for an 8" liner.

The wood I am burning is oak & maple. It has been seasoned for 3+ years, and has been in my garage since July. I am confident it is dry.

I don't have any catalyst temps as the Condar digital thermometer probe doesn't fit in the 3/16 opening in the top of the Sequoia's box. But I am getting the catalyst to fire.

Thanks for your input.

At first blush I would say that your reload procedure needs to be examined. Try shutting things down before it creates a draft strong enough to pull the door closed._g

There really should be no need to have the door cracked on a reload unless your are really down to a few coals. It sounds like you may be "rushing" the stove.

Reactions: Huntindog1
We've had some super windy weather lately and that will cause overdraft problems with just about any stove. If it is happening all the time, I would install a damper in your flue. They're cheap and should solve the problem if the advice from jags doesn't help.

Load larger pieces of wood.
Load on less of a Coal Bed.
Load up with a cooler firebox.
Dont leave the door open for a fast start up as sounds like your wood is plenty dry.
Shut the input air down sooner.
Rake coals to the front or to the side so half your wood isnt sitting on hot coals.
As yes you wont be able to load as much wood on the part with the coals but on the other half of the stove
You will be able to load more wood since you can load all the way down to the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.