Silicon on pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
It's been maybe a couple years since I've posted anything so, I had to reset my password, not a big deal.
What's up with silicon on the exhaust pipe? All I remember about my install is the $700 plus dollars for the pipe and I think there was o-rings inside or maybe outside the pipe and no one at the vendor where I bought the pipe said anything extra was necessary. I like being able to disconnect the joints for cleaning as the dryer vent brush flex rod just doesn't go 'round the 90's. Maybe you guys can enlighten me here? thanks bjr23

If you have no leaks nothing to worry about. Most of the people sealing there joints are using the standard duravent pipe which is known for leaking.

I have this kit Gardus RPS204-B SootEater Rotary Pellet Stove Cleaning System and it doesn't have any problem going through the 90s.
Ron

I have the regular Duravent on one stove and Selkirk VP on another. Both pipe systems leak at every single joint without some sort of sealant. The install instructions call for RTV in the joints.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I wrap joints with high temp duct temp. on duravent chimneys. Tape is supposedly good for 600F and Duravent says outside temp of pipe should not exceed 250F. The tape also stiffens up the pipe stack making it much more rigid.

As far as leaking I'd expect that as the stove is running there would be a negative pressure in the pipe if anything pulling air into the pipe.

I have a Duraplus installtion that I did about 25 years ago and its been great. No signs of leaks as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.