Silicone Rope Gasket EKO 40 Super 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced my old factory gasket with a Silicone Rope Gasket in my EKO 40 Super 1 less than 5 months old. What a difference the Silicone Gasket makes. The upper loading door opens without sticking. The old factory gasket would seal itself shut with creosote. I tried all the remedies but none worked. Actually, I think some of the remedies caused the factory gasket to break down and it started leaking. I ordered the Silicone Gasket from New Horizons for $50.00 including Priority shipping. Well worth the money. All I had to do was lift off the loading door, remove the old gasket, clean the channel and push the new Silicone Gasket into the channel. I no longer have to yank my guts out to pull the door open. The creosote does not stick to the Silicone.

The new gasket is much better than the old one ..... now if I can only get the damper door to stop sticking !

I also had the problem with the Damper getting stuck. Most of the time I would open the loading door and after the smoke cleared I would use the Poker to bang on Damper till it opened. That problem stopped when I raised my Flue temperature from 100 degrees to 320 degrees. I think the extra heat going up the Flue keeps the creosote from hardening on the Damper. I was able to open my secondary air tubes four turns. My secondary air tubes we open about one turn from the factory. I also opened my draft fan from 1x2 inch to a little over 1 inch. After that I could actually hear the rumbling sound of the gasification. Another problem I was having was wood bridging. The bridging also stopped when I adjusted the secondary air and opened the the draft fan.

I get good gasification and no bridging . Mine happens when the boiler idles too much on warmer days and the door gets sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.