Silver maple.... never burned it but it's free and there's lots of it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Hearth Supporter
Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Plus, it's cut to size and easily accessible.
It burns mediocre?

Note: That's not me up in the tree

Attachments

• donnie d.jpg
    donnie d.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 514
I find it to burn fine during the shoulder season and also mixed in with my oak/ash/hickory when it's all but the coldest of cold days.

I hauled home 4 cord of it the week before Thanksgiving. I hope it keeps the house warm. Can't be any worse than pine and that gets it done ;-)

Around here, silver and red maple are called "swamp maple." Fortunately, both work easily and dry quickly.

They can make excellent kindling, and burn cleanly and hot. Just not for long. "Not durable in contact with soil."

Free, they're great stuff.

Wow that looks scary and dangerous.

That looks like someone is getting ready to bungy jump! I do think it will concentrate one's attention when climbing!

Get the maple. You'll do fine.

That picture gave me flashbacks to an accident that I had by leaning a ladder against a tree as when I was coming down the ladder collapsed and I slammed down about 15 feet onto it; the falling wasn't the problem it was the landing that hurt lol....lesson learned the hard way-never lean a ladder against a tree and expect it to stay. These guys are either very brave or very nuts or a little of both-wow.....

Anyway, I really like Silver Maple; as stated before, it makes great kindling but also is decent main fuelwood but burns out quicker than other Maples, Oaks, Ashes, etc. but it burns nicely and seasons fast. Like stated earlier it can get a little funky if kept too long as it is a softer hardwood but I'd grab it and see for yourself.

Looks like one of those rounds bent the heck out of that basketball rim; either that or someone fell on it lol....

leftyscott said:
Plus, it's cut to size and easily accessible.
It burns mediocre?

Note: That's not me up in the tree

I wOOd take it, nice size tree.

Zap

The lower ladder at least, appears to be lashed to the tree.

If they don't have a bucket truck, how else are they supposed to get up there? (besides climbing).
I have a bucket truck, but I don't climb.
I've used a ladder, but that setup is more risk than I'd be willing to take.

Rob

That trunk will burn nice.

48rob said:
If they don't have a bucket truck, how else are they supposed to get up there? (besides climbing).

I'll use a (tied to the trunk) ladder to take a limb off in the first 20' or so, but I'm not fond of wobbly ladders at heights. I'd probably attempt the following...

1) I'd screw around all day and do it from the ground. First I'd borrow my dad's BigShot to get throwlines in the high crotches. Then I'd cut off as many limbs as I could using two people standing on either side of the tree pulling my High Limb Chain Saws (modified with longer and stronger ropes) back and forth. Then since there is a big grass area in the picture, I'd pull out a big bar and drop the ~6' of main trunk taking both both leaders (and whatever limbs I can't get with the rope chainsaw) all at once.

2) If that didn't look safe, I'd open my checkbook and get a guy with a bucket.

3) If I couldn't get a bucket truck in, I'd borrow and setup construction scaffolding all the way up from the ground.

4) If none of the above were safe, I'd open my savings account and hire a guy with a crane.

Status
Not open for further replies.