1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Silverfish in woodpile, eek!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by breeze530, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breeze530

breeze530 New Member

Loc:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    We store our main wood properly stacked on the property. We also have a small metal wood holder (don't know the name) that's on our porch, sitting against the house. The bottom shelf is about a foot off the porch. Then we bring in small boxes of what we will need for a day or two.
    I went out today to get some wood to bring in from the porch (it's oak) & 2 nasty silverfish jumped off the first 3 or 4 pieces I was going to bring in. I was able to kill them, but I know there are probably certainly more out there.

I lived in another place where I had a silverfish invasion in the house that was terrible to get rid of. I HATE those things! The way I finally got rid of them that time was by using boric acid. What I want to know is if I spinkle the boric acid on the wood while it's outside, will it cause problems when it's burned? Will it create a poisonous gas or something? We already use it around the wood piles & the inside boxes.

Thanks. I'm new to the whole wood thing. My daughter & I live together & we also have propane heaters. But after a $500 bill for 2 months, we shut them off. Now we're only using our Fisher wood stove & I use a radiator type heater in my bdrm. So please excuse my ignorance. I'm thrilled to find this forum!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    The only wood that comes in my house is the wood that is going immediately into the stove. I keep a small rack in the garage and bang my splits together before I bring them into the garage. No silverfish problem here.

BTW, wherabouts in the mountains?
  3. breeze530

breeze530 New Member

Loc:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Thanks! I guess that's the easiest way. I'm in Lompico. Know where that is?
  4. iskiatomic

iskiatomic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    I assume this silverfish is a west coast thing? Never have heard of such a thing, please elaborate.

KC
  5. Heem

Heem New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    We have them here too iskiatomic. Just bugs.
  6. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Lepisma saccharina (commonly called the fishmoth, urban silverfish, or just silverfish) is a small, wingless insect typically measuring from a half to one inch (12–25 mm). Its common name derives from the animal's silvery blue colour, combined with the fish-like appearance of its movements, while the scientific name indicates the silverfish's diet of carbohydrates such as sugar or starches. It belongs to the basal insect order Thysanura, a group estimated to have existed for over 300 million years, at least since the Paleozoic Era.[1]

Here you go. Copied from wikipedia.

Shipper
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Aren't those the little critters that like to hide inside of papers, like books, magazines and such?
  8. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    rockland county, NY
    my woodpile is there to dry the wood out - where does all the water come from to support the fish?
  9. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    I brought yellowjackets in the house on 3 occasions this winter. One of those times I was stung on the finger as I was putting wood in the stove. I'd take the silverfish, as long as they stay out of my favorite books. :)
  10. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I think your thinking of earwigs. The creepy looking crawlers that hide in places that one wouldn't think of.

Shipper
  11. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Yes I do. Gonna be in Scotts Valley later this morning to meet friends and then off to the Clam Chowder Festival at the Boardwalk.
  12. breeze530

breeze530 New Member

Loc:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Hope you have fun at the chowder fest! It looks like it's gonna rain pretty hard this afternoon though. If I remember right, it was actually rained out last yr.
  13. breeze530

breeze530 New Member

Loc:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Yes, that's the ones. They also love to eat your cereal & they multiply fast. Gross things. Earwigs just wander around looking for water & I've never known them to dig in & actually wanna life in your house.
  14. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    id burn them up , they probably offer some kind of BTU rating ...thats good free heat
  15. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Bear Grylls swears they taste just like chicken!! Although he prefers to eat bearshit silverfish offer terrific protein in a survival situation... :)

Ray
  16. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    I've never had a wood pile w/o some kind of little critters living in it. One reason I don't pile the wood right next to the house. I try to shake off as much bugs and dirt from the wood as possible when I take it from the pile, after that, the bugs burn just fine. We have a copper washbasin like thing for holding firewood in the house, it contains the mess fairly well.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  17. Bubbavh

Bubbavh Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NJ Piney
    Silverfish although they are weird alien looking bugs are harmless... We used to have them in our house when we first bought it (The previous owner painted over 2 layers of wall paper) they like to feed on wallpaper glue. So unless you have a lot of wallpaper just killing the ones you find inside with a napkin or whatever you choose, will do them in. Get rid of the food source get rid of the bug! I would try not to treat the wood with chemicals.

Check out the bug I found a few weeks ago... It is an internet photo I found on it. My wife wouldn't let me go get the camera to take a photo when she spotted it.
    Had I known that these are being sold for $40 a dozen at this site.
    http://www.carolina.com/product/living organisms/animals/live insects/living bessbugs.do
    I would have tried to sell it on Ebay.

Attached Files:

18. CTZR1

CTZR1 New Member

Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    I guess the wood is wetter than you thought
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.