Simpson Duratec vs. Metal-Fab's Temp Guard®

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdurando

Feb 24, 2008
Hamilton NJ
Ok well this past weekend I Purchased my PE T5 and according to my dealer it should be in within the week. I am very excited to start my new install the stove is going in a new location so I will be running a new chimney my m question is regarding two specific brands of pipe Simpson Duratec and Metal-Fab's Temp Guard® as far as I can tell the Simpson Pipe is better but it is much more expensive. I guess I am wondering if you guys think the Duratec is worth the money over the Metal-Fab's Temp Guard®

Thanks
John

When you say Duratec, do you mean DuraVent? My chimney is comprised of the Simpson DuraVent product line. I thought it was well priced and is hands down a quality product.

Chimney kit was around $200, and the individule 36" sections of Class A pipe was around $85 per section.

He's talking about the manufacturer "Simpson Duravent" who makes a product line called "DuraTech". The DuraTech is the lowest cost Class A Simpson makes, we use it for every job that needs Class A. Never had any problems with it. Simpson also has great support if you have install questions or damaged product. Once has a pellet install with leaks in the pipe and Simpson sent me all new pipe for free.

Wow thanks Be Green That is a great link I should have mentioned this before I work for a plumber who have an account at Ferguson and they sell Metal fab so I can get it at a discount. However if the Simpson pipe is a much higher quality product it may be worth paying for it just for the peace of mind. If they are about equal I can save some money.

I've never worked with Metal-Fab. It might be a fine product or maybe not. Just wanted to give you a price reference. You might call them and see what they say.

Any opinions on the "Sure Temp" pipe from Selkirk? It's part of their "Metalbestos" line. Class A pipe. It seems to be cheaper than the Dura Tech. I think it is basically the original double insu pipe they made>

Status
Not open for further replies.