Singed Eyebrows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steaming Pile

Nov 13, 2008
Northern PA
The wife got a good kick out of this so I thought you all would to!
So anyway there I was cleaning up some stuff in the yard getting ready for the big snowstorm. Put all the kids junk in the shed then decided to clean out the fire pit before storing it. There were a few small pieces of unburned wood so I decided to throw them in the GW instead of over the bank. When I opened the door to the GW I got hit with a blast of hot air but didn't think anything of it. Then while pondering my next modification to the boiler room I got inspired and had to drop a duece. Well after the deed I was washing my hands (good hygiene is important)and low and behold..... looked in the mirror and about a quarter inch of my eye lashes were burnt to a nice orange color along with a good portion of my right eyebrow. Just another bend in the learning curve :) Gassification is a whole new ballgame but I'm lov'in it!

Lesson learned: don't open the GW with a full load unless wearing a nomex hood and maybe some goggles. and next time just throw the crap over the bank!

First thing, when opening any solid fuel boiler door... "Don't look inside until the draft is stabilized."

High temperatures, unburned gasses, and oxygen, almost always go, "POOF!" and sometimes go, "BOOM!". Noticed that with coal, and wood but to a lesser degree, in the New Yorker.

Watch your face and eyes. The little holes in the door are not for looking, except at a distance and an angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.