Single Board Computer Controllers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twofer

Jun 4, 2008
SLP Michigan
In another thread about controllers the use of single board computers (SBC) as a controller was brought up and I thought its own thread might be in order as I am interested in setting one up for my system. A setup like this would allow me flexibility in the future as well as help me overcome the current hurdle of handling a 10 degree difference in my heating stages that current multi-stage thermometers cannot handle.

For you guys that already have an SBC setup to control your system would you mind providing details about your setup?

See my signature ;-)

There are a few who have built controllers based on this design, but not for the faint of heart when it comes to the software. I'm working on a version that will be programmable via a web interface, but it's not ready for prime time yet.

Nofossil, actually that was the first place I looked! Your website is a wealth of information. With that being said the reason I posted this thread was because I just wanted to see what everyone was using.

I’m using a ts7800 single board computer running linux, similar to the one that nofo uses (same manufacturer, Technologoc Systems). I get the temps using Dallas Semi ds18s20 sensors. The sensors interface directly to a dio24 pc104 board that is also made by Technologic and plugs right into the ts7800. I wrote the C code to read from the sensors. A separate Perl script runs once a minute and calls the sensor program to get the temps. It then uses the temp data to decide which state the system should be in and calls another C program that sets some I/Os that control relays that control the valves and circs in the system. The relays are all interfaced from a separate dio24 board from the one used to interface to the sensors. The Perl program also logs the temps and state info and a separate Perl cgi script parses the log and produces a graph of the running system state.

I am using an Arduino USB board which from my understanding does not have as many I/O and lacks a few other features as the system Nofo uses, but it is about $35. I am using the Dallas 1-wire sensors so I don't need as many I/O and you can actually hook multiple boards together in the end to expand the system. I am starting by making a differential storage loader with 2 sensors and a solid state relay. I just got the board to actually read the senors yesterday. Now I can work on my code and run my wiring down to the boiler and storage tank. I am excited about the possibilities this adds to my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.