Single Burn Rate Stove?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HippieD9

Jan 2, 2018
Illinois
I previously had an old style wood stove in here, and LOVED it. The problem is I rent the property, and the landlord is a bit... odd. He saw some thing on TV about how horrible old wood burners are and ran off and bought the cheapest EPA compliant stove he could find and forced me to give up my old one.

The stove in question here is a US Stove 2016EB. The main problem I have with it is that it's just not adjustable, there's no controls to adjust the amount of air going in. While it burns nice and warm and very pretty, it goes through wood like a teenager at Thanksgiving. I must be using at least twice the wood I was before, and forget keeping in going all night. It's done in a few hours.

I can put the old damper (which was removed per the instructions) back in easily enough to control the output. I'm thinking about finding magnets which I could use to cover the air intake holes to provide at least some means to control the intake air.

Has anyone ever tried this, or is there a better option I'm just not seeing?

There are things you can do to slow it down if the stove is uncontrollable and possibly overfiring but might be you could get closer to what you want by loading in a different orientation or by using bigger splits. What kind of stove top temps are you getting?

I think if it were me I would put a pipe damper in. Alot of people frown on them but in this situation it's probably the best option you have. Watch your pipe every month if you do put the damper in to make sure your not getting too much cresote. Once you get a few months you will know how often you need to check it and clean it.

Nothing at all wrong with a pipe damper if it's justified.

Reactions: Doc C