Drolet eldorado air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zerk

Oct 18, 2023
UP
I have drolet elderado purchased 2012. It worked fine in past. Wood is couple years old and pipe is clean.

I did have a squirrel in it couple years ago. Not sure if that was when problem started.

I need to crack door for fire stay in decent range. Replaced magnetic gauge and verified with temp gun.

How can I verify air intake is not blocked and damper rod doing anything?

Last year I did put sheet of paper over hole in back, and thought was sucking. Though I tried last night and it wasn't.

When I cleaned I could not see any obstruction on top.

Thanks for help.

Is there a screen in the cap and if yes, was it cleaned?

Is there a way to tell if damper is mechanically moving or if air intake is blocked?

I've read a ton of these threads. Is your chimney clean, is wood seasoned,is pipe right size.

But how do you know the damper arms is doing anything? Is still attached?

Looking in hole on back o can't see any movement. Not sure I would.

How did squirrel get into firebox? What route did he take? Was he alone? Did he just come in from top plate with holes above fire?

I put paper on opening in back. Should there have been enough suction to hold it?

Had billowing fire, 400. Closed door. Dropped below 300. But then rose to 330 and holding

Maybe not giving it a chance. When it drops out of green, I crack door. Sometimes it flames completely go out.

I'll keep playing with it. But last 2 years not roaring like it was. Still burning maple.

Still like to know way to test pressure

Last edited:
How cold is it out? And is your wood still wet? You need a good draft going before you can close the door. You would need to check your baffle to make sure it does not having anything plugging it up like the blanket on top if it has one (drolets manual doesn't say). I prefer an incense stick so you get a steady stream of smoke to check your intake on the back to make sure it is working properly.

Last edited:
Wood is dry couple years in shed. 50 outside 60 inside.

Not sure how to check baffle or if I have one.

Wood is dry couple years in shed. 50 outside 60 inside.

Not sure how to check baffle or if I have one.
Temperature differential is what powers draft. When it's 65º inside and 45º outside, draft will improve.

This has been going on a couple years through winter.

Last two nights I have sn with door closed. Drown yo to 350, but stays there. So it is in an ok burn zone, but not as hot I was getting.

With door open I am surprised not over firing.

With an open door the firebox and flue are flooded with cool room air. The stove body will stay cooler but the flue piping may get over its rated temperture.