Single wall pipe gaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I second/third/forth the paint curing. And eventime you hit a higher temp than before it will smoke again until it's finally cured at the highest temp.
But, it's the same thing that happened with the older pipe. That's why I swapped it out in the first place.

The "curing" process smokes out the house?

You guys know more than me, but it looked like it was coming out the seams strictly, not emitting from the whole length of the pipe.

(And yes, there's only been a handful of fires in it since the last sweeping.)

Looks like week draft, perhaps due to negative pressure in the basement. What is the liner in the chimney, tile? If so, what is the ID?

Reactions: danrclem
This is strange, But my jotul 118 clone will "back puff" even during a full hot burn if the wind is out of the NW at 15MPH or more. Same exact thing happens. Smoke puffs out any opening or gap including the air draft vent on the front of the stove.

Did someone take a shower and turn on the exhaust fan, or stove and exhaust fan, or furnace kicked on, or dryer turned on, or gas hot water heater kicked on? any of these could be part of your problem.

Last edited:
I'm using a single wall stove pipe made by "Heating and Cooling Products" made in the USA. It's a lower priced pipe and has some small gaps where it snaps together but nothing serious. I haven't ever saw any smoke come out of it.

DuraVent makes a single wall DuraBlack and the seam is supposed to be welded. It's more expensive than the pipe that I have but it's the same thickness. Might be worth a try.

I'm not an expert by any means but I tend to think that begreen is probably right about a weak draft. Hope you get it sorted out.

It almost sounds like a partial clog somewhere? Or something is causing a downdraft. I'd say a manometer to check the draft during the burning process is in order. They're not that expensive.

I second/third/forth the paint curing. And eventime you hit a higher temp than before it will smoke again until it's finally cured at the highest temp.
It smokes every time it reaches 300 and then eventually stops once it gets above 400. This doesn't sound like it's still curing, but I'm no expert.

Just out of curiosity, have you swept your chimney?
I had the chimney re-swept and essentially there was nothing to clean out. No clog.

Still having the same problems of smoking out the basement/house every single relight despite efforts and suggestions. Windows are all open. I've taped up the seams with special high temp wrap. This might not be meant to be!!
Furnace it is.
Thanks for the help regardless everyone.