Single-wall pipe or triple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kharrisma

Dec 21, 2018
Bristol, NH
Hi Forum Folke!

I just added a room to our house that needs to be heated; it's about 12' x 20' and is probably about 40% glass, with all the windows and door sidelight (Andersen double-pane casement... they're tall !) It's a single-level and has a cathedral ceiling. Where the woodstove will be located (in a corner) it's about 12' to the ceiling. The stove top is about 26" off the floor, so the total run of pipe to the ceiling is about 10'. My question is: should I use single-walled pipe up to the triple-walled pipe that has to be used where it goes through the roof, to maximize heat extraction, or am I better-off using triple-wall all the way? It's a Drolet (Canadian maker) DB 03015 model, max BTU output of 60,000... firebox volume about 1.9 ft/3, with a 6" flue outlet, rated for 850 to 1600 ft/2. I'm sure it's oversized for the room, but the price was too good to pass up, especially after looking at a bunch of stuff online and a ton of stuff locally, including some ridiculously over-priced used stuff. I'm thinking I'm probably better off using the triple-wall stuff all the way, but I'd like my thinking confirmed by people who have much more experience with this than I do. Thanks much! Oh... I live in central New Hampshire, where for the last couple of years it's been getting quite close to 0 degrees F for much of the winter, and it's getting OLD! And, if it makes any difference, the roof's fairly flat, at 3:12 pitch, and the pipe will be coming out about 8' from the ridgeline. Can't think of anything else to add that might be relevant/helpful. Thanks again.

Some stoves dont permit attaching chimney directly. Could cause overdraft?

Funny... no mention whatever is made in the accompanying manual about connecting the chimney piping to the stove itself; virtually all discussion involves how to route it out of the house (through ceilings, attic, roof, into existing masonry chimneys, etc,) but nothing about to the stove itself. I imagine if they didn't want direct attachment, some mention of that would have been made, what adapter(s) to use, etc.

Funny... no mention whatever is made in the accompanying manual about connecting the chimney piping to the stove itself; virtually all discussion involves how to route it out of the house (through ceilings, attic, roof, into existing masonry chimneys, etc,) but nothing about to the stove itself. I imagine if they didn't want direct attachment, some mention of that would have been made, what adapter(s) to use, etc.
With 10' of connector pipe I would recommend double wall connector pipe to the chimney. Which for the chimney use insulated double wall chimney not triple wall. It is a far superior product.

Reactions: webby3650