Single-wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokepole

Burning Hunk
Sep 28, 2019
Foothills N.C.
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have been following Hearth.com for the past year after a relining disaster (that's another story!)

Question: I am hooking up a NC13 to a 6" stainless steel snout coming through a masonry thimble.

I ordered Rockford single-wall black pipe to make the connection (Ventis). Ventis is advertised as no fumes. I received all my pieces to do the hook-up. In my shop I noticed an odd smell coming from the paint on the pipe.

I have the use of a working electric oven in an old vacant house. I took the two elbows and put them in the oven on 350 degrees for 30 min. They smoked up the house (about 900 sq. ft.). I let them cool, then put the oven on 450 degrees for 45 min. They smoked again and the odor was awful.

What is your experience with this type of pipe? What do you think of the Duravent single-wall stainless pipe - its good and bad points? I am trying to avoid the curing, as I have become sensitive to the smell as I've gotten older (66).

Thank you for any information anyone can offer me.

Most stove pipe is painted with stove paint including DuraBlack stove pipe. It has to bake in to cure and while it does it will smoke a bit. Before it gets too cold start a fire in the stove with the smoke pipe connected and finish baking it in with the windows open and a fan in the nearest window to exhaust the fumes. Take the stove pipe up to 400º surface temp to finish the job.

Most stove pipe is painted with stove paint including DuraBlack stove pipe. It has to bake in to cure and while it does it will smoke a bit. Before it gets too cold start a fire in the stove with the smoke pipe connected and finish baking it in with the windows open and a fan in the nearest window to exhaust the fumes. Take the stove pipe up to 400º surface temp to finish the job.
Thank you for your reply. Have you had any experience with the Duravent stainless single-wall pipe?

Just with their DuraBlack stove pipe. I don't think they make an unpainted stove pipe. Do they?

Just with their DuraBlack stove pipe. I don't think they make an unpainted stove pipe. Do they?
yes they call it durablack stainless singlewall sold at northline

Thanks, that's the first time I've seen it. It should be fine. DuraVent makes decent pipe. Another option would be to switch to double-wall stove pipe. The painted outer jacket of double-wall stove pipe doesn't get as hot so it doesn't off-gas as much. The inner jacket is stainless.

Reactions: mountain man 2
The stove is also painted and if it is new it will smoke as it heats up the first time.

The stink is a one time deal if you fully heat it.

Reactions: mountain man 2
thankyou for your reply.

I bought the ventis stove pipe because they advertised as a no fume pipe

My new stove is a englander nc13. I mounted it to a trailer behind my tractor
and have done 4 burns two 2 hour and two 3 hour burns
I hope i got most of the smell and smoke gone

Reactions: Highbeam
thankyou for your reply.

I bought the ventis stove pipe because they advertised as a no fume pipe

My new stove is a englander nc13. I mounted it to a trailer behind my tractor
and have done 4 burns two 2 hour and two 3 hour burns
I hope i got most of the smell and smoke gone
If the stovetop was taken up to 600º then the paint should be mostly baked in.

Reactions: Highbeam
I got the top up to around 500
I backed off because the side of the stove hit 600
I did that on the two long burns.

That should help. Don't worry too much until the stovetop temp goes over 750º.

I would "cook" my single-wall stovepipe before installing it by hanging it (outside my shop) horizontally by a loop of chain with metal clips on the end. I would run a "weed-burner" thru the pipe to heat it up from the inside. The paint would cook and the smell would be released in the atmosphere. After I "cooked" all the sections, I would install it in the house.

I would "cook" my single-wall stovepipe before installing it by hanging it (outside my shop) horizontally by a loop of chain with metal clips on the end. I would run a "weed-burner" thru the pipe to heat it up from the inside. The paint would cook and the smell would be released in the atmosphere. After I "cooked" all the sections, I would install it in the house.
I like your idea. Where did you come up with that?

If I lose the use of the vacant house and oven I will try that for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your idea. Where did you come up with that?

If I lose the use of the vacant house and oven I will try that for sure.

Unfortunately, it was by trial and error... Once, I replaced my stack with some cheap black stove-pipe from the local hardware store. I swear it was made in an "eastern country" and coated with toxic paint... It stunk so bad that my wife wouldn't let me burn the stove when she was in the house. I had to burn it on Saturdays when she went into town. I had to open all the windows and cross ventilate the room to get the smell out for a couple weeks before I could burn it regularly. I vowed to never let that happen again... Hence my solution.