Size DOES matter....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-L

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2010
Tug Hill State Forest, NY
This morning it was +5F and breezy outside at 5:15 AM, and a nice 75F inside. I took a few shovels full of ash/coals out of the King, then decided I would weigh the wood I was going to fill it with, just to see if Blaze King's advertised load potential was at all accurate. With a bed of bright coals a few inches deep, I successfully placed 94 lbs of hard maple and elm into the firebox! This is well seasoned wood, not wet or green; split/stacked for 2 years with roofing tin over the top. Some of them weren't your typical splits, 2 were 20 lbs each, big 'ol dense slabs. Going from a Woodstock Classic to the Blaze King this past fall, I quickly learned to love the larger size firebox. Even with the control dial set at 2 1/4 (just within the high side of "normal" on the scale), this won't need more wood until after dark tonight, and the house will be very comfy. Like engine guys say, there is no replacement for displacement.

The best part is there is no downside to that big firebox.

oozing w/ jealousy. Some day, some day.

pen

I have always said that I sure would like to strike a match to one of those Kings and see what it could do. I really wish they had other options when it comes to the "looks" category. I'm not sure I could even grow into liking one in my living room. NO BASH here - I really respect the stove and its capabilities - but everyone has different tastes.

Jags,

I'm with you on the looks of this stove, it ain't exactly pretty. Not even a little, compared with most others. I personally don't find the stove extremely UNATTRACTIVE, but I think just about every other manufacturer has something (every model) that is definitely MORE attractive and aesthetically appealing to a much broader range of buyers. However, with that said, I firmly believe that with anything that someone actually uses and relies on, form should always follow function. I'm very happy with it.

[quote author="Jags" date="1292356958"]I have always said that I sure would like to strike a match to one of those Kings and see what it could do. I really wish they had other options when it comes to the "looks" category. I'm not sure I could even grow into liking one in my living room. NO BASH here - I really respect the stove and its capabilities - but everyone has different tastes.[/quote<The looks and the fact I was worried about the wife running a cat stove, she is not running the non cat right, oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.