Size of outside air vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipster96

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Arkansas
I am installing a Regency medium-sized wood insert. It has no provision for direct hook-up of outside air.

Having read many of the pros and cons, I am contemplating several approaches to providing outside combustion air.

What size should the air hole be, regardless of where it ends up?

What do you think about the options below?

1. A port from outside into the masonry cavity where the insert lives. The firebox on the i2400 gets its air through two slits along its bottom. I would block off the combustion-air intakes on the insert that get air from the room. (These intakes feed air into the masonry cavity. So the firebox intakes would still be working the same way as always -- taking air out of the cavity, but with an opening to the outside instead of the living room.) This approach would require a mechanical device to close the outside-air opening in the masonry during none-use. Maybe an antique register attached to a rod.

2. A hole in the wall above the mantel, just within arms reach. The insert would remain unmodified, taking in air from the room, as always. It would be some sort of decorative, closeable, vent. I figure putting it high up will prevent anyone from encountering an unpleasant draft. Would be simpler to build.

From what I've read, using outside air will not improve the net efficiency or heat contribution of the fireplace, but it will give control over where the cold drafts are located.

I don't know if it would work very well since the insert surround isn't exactly air tight. Do you have an ash dump in your fireplace? That's what I used to get outside air to my fireplace. If you don't have an ash dump and decide to try something else, try and keep the outside air vent at or below the stoves air intakes so that cold air doesn't push into the stove but instead sucks it in as needed.

chipster96 said:
From what I've read, using outside air will not improve the net efficiency or heat contribution of the fireplace, but it will give control over where the cold drafts are located.

This last sentence troubles me but it is a fairly debated topic so I'll jsut add that I get lots more out of my outside air than just draft reduction.

I use a 3" vent for my 2.3 CF firebox and only the largest stoves require a 4" vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.