Sizing Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffer

Jan 15, 2015
Monument, Colorado
We recently moved into a house that has an indoor pool. Well, more accurately, it has a concrete hole in the ground (no water) the cost to repair the pool is cost prohibitive and my wife wants to convert the room into a 4 seasons room by decking over the pool. Has a roof, lots of windows, and the south wall is floor to ceiling windows. The room is 2 stories high, with a loft over 1/4 of it. It has spiral stairs going down from the loft. The loft is where her art studio is.

It has a 30 year old furnace and the gas line to it rusted out, so no gas. Thus the desire to "Upgrade" to wood stove heat.

My question is sizing. The floor space is 750 sq. ft. not including the loft. If I go to a large stove, I am hopeful that I can open the upper and lower doors to the room and help supplement heat to the house.

One vendor recommended against going too large because of running the stove on low creates creosote. Or he recommends catalytic. Not really asking which is better here. I just want to know about sizing.

The square footage is relatively small, but lots of windows and super tall ceilings over most of it.
Would it be best to go with a larger stove?

Thanks,
Chris

That will be a tough place to heat as the warm air will naturally rise up and accumulate under the ceiling/in the loft. You will need some ceiling fans for that space. A more radiant stove would probably also be a good idea (soapstone or cast-iron) so you will at least feel the warmth when sitting in front of the stove. How do you want to heat the rest of the place?

Status
Not open for further replies.