Skamotec 225, alternative to micore, hearth pad material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is some thick stuff, but if you take the 1" air gap and the material into factor it evens out. I got a small sample block of it, what do you guys want seen done to it? Blowtorch? 12ga? Small tile?
Blow torch, smolder test....

Howitzer test. :cool:

The hearth shop i work at recently purchased this stuff to start using. We tried putting stone on it with type S mortar and after 3 days you could easily pull the stones off. We wet the skamotec and scratch coated it, but it still dried insanely fast making it hard to even scratch coat. I would guess your first answer would be more water. But i can hardly see using buckets of water in someones living room with carpet and hard wood and all. Any other suggestions ? The idea of this stuff sounds great and even the faster drying scratch coat is a plus. It just doesnt seem to be working. Should we be using thin set to scratch coat it for stone ??
Wire mesh?

Status
Not open for further replies.