Skinny on the 30% credit for pellet and wood stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Based on the information I have from the Industry Government Affairs dept - folks should read this link as to the qualifications of the stove:
http://www.hpba.org/index.php?id=34

From my short conversation with them (I am at the HPBA Show in Reno now), the final pieces have not been put into place.....that is, there is no official certification at the time of this writing....at least that is what I gleamed from our conversation.

BUT, most of the technical hoops have been jumped through and a number of manufacturers feel confident that their units will pass the test - which is very different than some other classic efficiency tests.

Bottom line - if a maker is PROMISING you a credit, get it in writing. Read the writing........

Chances are that many good units will pass because that is the whole idea of the program.

Webmaster said:
Based on the information I have from the Industry Government Affairs dept - folks should read this link as to the qualifications of the stove:
http://www.hpba.org/index.php?id=34

From my short conversation with them (I am at the HPBA Show in Reno now), the final pieces have not been put into place.....that is, there is no official certification at the time of this writing....at least that is what I gleamed from our conversation.

BUT, most of the technical hoops have been jumped through and a number of manufacturers feel confident that their units will pass the test - which is very different than some other classic efficiency tests.

Bottom line - if a maker is PROMISING you a credit, get it in writing. Read the writing........

Chances are that many good units will pass because that is the whole idea of the program.

I can not afford the air fare. Over $900 for me and the Bride. I did have free tickets.

Eric

I'm in favor of the tax credit even though I probably will not take part in the program but one thing that struck me... now we have the IRS involved in setting efficiency standards for pellet stoves... these guys aren't even experts at the tax code!

It is going to depend on the type of stove you bought this year. Quadrafire has an Email sign up for those who bought stoves from them this year. When the US Government comes out with the standards that the stoves needed to reach to qualify. They will Email the info to you with all the stoves that qualify. I believe they will also mail a certificate to you too,to to put in your paperwork during tax time next year. A receipt will not be enough. You need the certificate from the company. Just go to Quadrafire.com. You will see it on the right hand side of the page.

I wish this applied for the purchase of a used stove as well. It's kinda like recycling!

Status
Not open for further replies.